Head Gasket REplacement 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

penroberts
My Cars:

Head Gasket REplacement 1.9td

Post by penroberts »

Oh Joy - on the way back up North last night the head gasket on my Xantia 1.9TD (1994) went south.
I removed the thermostat (bloody AA were useless) and limped 140 miles home.
So this morning I attempted to get a gasket - no go - you have to know how many notches there are in it for thickness etc.
So, what I now need is a step by step guide for doing the job - I belive it is some sort of logical nightmare. Does anyone know if there is an online guide to doing it or am I forced into buying the Haynes manual (previous experience of these books is that they sort of come across as 'remove cylinder head - replace gasket - refit cylinder head etc)
Please help
Cheers
Pen Roberts
beezer

Post by beezer »

The Haynes manual is fine. Just bear in mind that they often use the same photographs for more than one car model so certain 'eccentricities' of your car might not be included. The 'Citroen Diesel Engine' should cover your engine and the Xantia 'Petrol and Diesel' too. You can count the notches without lifting the head as they protrude beyond the joint. Look at the flywheel end of the cylinder head/block joint.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Search this forum for "head gasket" and all will be revealed.
Stewart
penroberts
My Cars:

Post by penroberts »

Er - just how do I do that
I am good on cars - crap on Internet - could you send me the link or whatever - I tried the search and it gave me 20 pages - how do I pinpoint what I need
Cheers
A N Idiot
aka Pen Roberts
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

top right of this page click on search a,d put the words "TD head gasket" in the form, if that doesnt work perhaps try "gasket replacement" you are not alone, many folks have had those problems before, luck
Stewart
beezer

Post by beezer »

penroberts
My Cars:

Post by penroberts »

Bloody mavelous life is it not?
Woke up bright and early despite hangover and made a start on cylinder head removal. Its not short of pipes that 1.9td engine is it?
So proceeding in an orderly fashion with lots of printouts about turbo on and turbo off etc all was going well - that is until I attempted to straighten up - at which point an old spinal problem cropped up - nerve bundle dropped into damaged disc area and I am now on industrial painkillers until they can get me to an osteopath.
So, does anyone know anyone in the Stockport area who can do this HG for me - by that I mean someone who has done one before - in fact does anyone fancy doing it for me? I'll gladly pay as I need the car rather badly - help, advice, sympathy would be appreciated.
My next door neighbours advice was 'jack up the radiator cap and push a new car underneatg' - typical Vauxhall owner.
I have had this Xantia 1.9td for two weeks and am absolutely hooked - its great, VSX - all the bells and whistles and everything works, which is apparently quite rare. So - can anyone help
Cheers
Pen (out of his mind on painkillers) Roberts