strange noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

modi
My Cars:

strange noise

Post by modi »

Hi, I have xantia 1.9TD-1994, I recently started hearing noise coming from the front driver-side, it is like tik-tik noise, it goes faster as I accelerate, and goes slower as I apply breaks to stop, I thought it is the driver-side wheel so I changed it, but the noise is still on, do you have any idea??? is it a belt that may be on its way to finish?? Please advise, thanks.
andylal
My Cars:

Post by andylal »

This may be a silly response but check rear tyre for pebbles, i had similar thing and thats what it was.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Does this noise vary with engine speed when stationary? or is it road speed related? Does the noise get louder - quieter when you corner?
Lift the bonnet with the engine running and rev the engine a few times.. You will soon be able to find the source of the noise that way if its a belt or something.. We need more information please...
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

Thanks for the questions, the noise is road related, so when i go faster the noise goes faster, as if there is a stone stuck to the tyre, thats why i replaced the front driver-side wheel, when i leave the engin running and car is not moving i dont hear any noise, on the corners, i slow down my speed and the noise will slow and then as i accelerate and the noise will get faster..
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Check the other 3 tyres. Sounds like a pebble or a nail to me.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

How are your driveshaft nuts locked? If you have a locking cap secured by a slpit pin or an 'R' clip it can rattle - happened to me. How do you cure it - bend it a bit to tighten it was all I could think of besides stuffing a lump of mastic in the appropriate places. Some shafts are secured by a nylock nut which of course will not rattle. Incidentally the nut could be loose which would cause some noise at times. It should be very tight!
If that is not the problem, have a good look at the driveshafts, shake them, listen for differences between drive and overrun, and particularily noise on corners from outer joints.
Jeremy