cambelt change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xantiajohn

cambelt change

Post by xantiajohn »

hi to all on the forum,great reading!!
well down to business,i am thinking of changing my cam belt for the first time this weekend.xantia 1.9 turbo diesel,my fear(one of many)!
is lack of room to work.
should i leave it to the pros?or dive in!!
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

When you say lack of room, I take it you mean down the front of the engine. Yes it is a bit tight, but with the top mounting off and a jack under the engine, by lifting and lowering, the job can be done. If you decide to have a go, come back on here if you want more help
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

You can get to the engine by removing the access cover from behind the front righthand wheel too! R.
xantiajohn

Post by xantiajohn »

where do you jack the engine,and how high do you go?
another thing that bothers me is getting the timing wrong,
is there any need to move anything?
is it not possible to release the belt tensioner,replace belt.and re-tension it with out moving pullys??
beezer

Post by beezer »

You jack the engine under the sump (preferably with wooden load spreader). This is in order to remove the top mounting so it is more support than anything. You have to remove the mounting because it gets surrounded by the belt. You need to turn the engine to set it at TDC. You then lock the flywheel with an 8mm rod through a hole behind the starter and lock the camshaft and injector pump sprockets with M8 bolts. Haynes manual, despite its shortcomings, explains it quite well. Crankshaft pulley is the stumbling block for many. It is quite tight and it is best to replace with a new one. You will have to remove the drive belt for all the auxilliary items too.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had the same thoughts as you Xantiajohn,thats why i took mine to Peugeot.£145 all in,though that was nearly 2 yrs ago now.I have good diy skills,but am put off by the belts.
beezer

Post by beezer »

www.speedways.co.uk will fit it properly at a price well below a main dealer. Depends on how close they are to you.
xantiajohn

Post by xantiajohn »

i know exactly what you mean too.i have been qoted 160 all in.but i keep thinking,the belt only cost me 8.00,and i have the haynes manual.and keep thinking,i would like to try,and save a few quid in the process.
by the way are ther two holes in the fly wheel when looking for tdc ?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Just one. It is hidden behind the starter which itself is well hidden on the Xantia. The correct tool to get in there is a cranked rod.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

There is always a fearsome first time - for all of us ...
That's why I did this write up a couple of years ago : Replacing cambelt
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beezer</i>

Crankshaft pulley is the stumbling block for many. It is quite tight and it is best to replace with a new one.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That pulley is about £75+ [:0]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the suggestion should have ben that you replace the bolt holding the pulley on rather than the pulley itself. I don't think the pulley causes many problems, the bolt can snap - and look for a posting by D.J.Woolard on the problems that this can cause. If your car is fitted with a harmonic damper (immediately behind the auxilliary belt pulley - looks like a flywheel) this can separate and cause problems and will need replacing if this has happened.
jeremy
beezer

Post by beezer »

Sorry I meant the bolt - going blind with old age!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's not too bad. Haynes is OK. Note that later cars have bolt on cmbelt covers, and there is a bolt right down the back behind the turbo pipe (remove the pipe!) which is a different head size (11mm) to all the rest!
You might have to take the starter off to find the TDC hole the first time, but it gets easier after that. Check the timing before you remove the belt. Don't turn the engine over with the belt off, and then check, and check again the timing beore you try and start it - turn the engine over via the road wheel at least two full revs before retrying the timing each time. I have usually found it necessary to lean on the injection pump sprocket bolt with a spanner to get the belt on in the right position.
Oh, and thanks to Citroen, you need a 16mm deep socket to get the engine mount off (I use a 10mm spark plug spanner). And the crank pulley is 22mm.....
Work methodically and check, check and check again, and be prepared for some serious heart in mouth when you do turn the key! The satisfaction is worth it though.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Just bumped into my taxi repairing mate, he usually charges about £60! for a cit/pug cambelt, I usually get about £70 myself, however it does not take either of us very long to do one!)
Stewart