Not always the FDV....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

cheesey

Not always the FDV....

Post by cheesey »

What do you think?
Steering going heavy and losing assistance every now and then.
Hissing at about 10 seconds.
Pulsing through the brake pedal.
Back going down very fast.
But pumping up fine.
other clues.....
Cold weather made things worse until engine fully warm.
Sat down and thought....
FDV? could be but the steering would, on the main, be nearly stiff all the time. Unless...
The HYD oil was unclean or dirty. No I clean and change often unless..
Accumalator sphere flat. Tested that by releasing bleed bolt and a nice hissing heard. Unless...
The regulator is crock. Could the ball need reseating? Possible but the unit is fairly new and the massed faults added to the nice hissing sound from the sphere when pressure was released did not point to this. I usally find these things work or don't. Never click off or over charge. Unless...
Bad bleed off. Easly check with the pipes off. Some but not that much.
Being a JCB plant fitter I guess the real clue was when the cold weather comes. The oil gets thicker and the pump struggles.
Well it turns out the pump was old and tired but showing no outward signs. No leaks or noise.
New one fitted and now things are back to normal. Ticking once a minute and steering safe.
I wish Citroen had fitted a hydrolic pressure gauge....
Cheesey loves his 1994, 200,000+ miles xantia. 1.9TD SX
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

A pressure gauge - well that's one thing that removes guesswork.
I keep on harking on about this, but older versions of Mr Haynes' manuals (e.g. for the CX) suggest a rather laborious but eminently sensible diagnostic process of teeing in a pressure gauge at various points in the hydraulic system.
While this could be yet another way for the hydro-cit owner to obsess/waste time (please note, said very much tongue in cheek), it does have its merits. Who'll be first to plumb one in on the dash? And then who'll be the first to add a whole network of extra diagnostic plumbing?
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

naahhhh!!
Just sounds like one more thing to worry about and a lot of potential for new leak areas.