Oil - fuel test.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

beezer

Post by beezer »

I ran a 50/50 mix during a recent cold snap (Aberdeenshire). No waxing but it helped to run the glow plugs twice before starting. Performance is undoubtedly better. Lucas pump but newer model. I am bringing my Peugeot up at the weekend and putting it offroad for a while. Old lucas pump and I have spares so I will be experimenting over the winter.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Paul. Both cars have Bosch systems. [:D] The car starts immediately and runs freely and normaly, tickover cold is 1000rpm and drops to 850 ish when warm.The oil is very fluid when poured, in fact I had to be carefull it didn't splash up in my face when pouring from tin to watering can [:0] [:I] but then its nowhere near cold enough to matter yet, we have only had one frost here so far.. [^]
I havent done the maths to find the % but it will increase every time I top up, so that makes the maths quite complex.. Car holds 54 litres if you care to try.. [:I]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

Hi Paul. Both cars have Bosch systems. [:D] The car starts immediately and runs freely and normaly, tickover cold is 1000rpm and drops to 850 ish when warm.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My K plater has the (old) Lucas system.
Ran with 50/50 mix very well for about 2000 miles, only the overpowering smell of chip shops put me off continuing. I still add 2 litre tub of Asda's special value cooking oil to each tank to aid as a lubricant (even doing this with the HDi without any ill effects). But would think twice before running 50/50 again on any car (not inc HDi as they won't) due to smell and possibility of a knock from mr C & E man.
On the other hand you could always buy some V100 bio diesel (then you have a VAT receipt)
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Marty. I am only trying this out of curiosity, We are probably talking saving less than £2-3 a month with the low mileage I am doing, approx 150 miles a *month* lol..
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

After 18 hrs at -22C, the rapeseed/city diesel mixture is somewhat more viscous but shows no signs of separation or wax precipitation, so I'm gonna stick with this mixture (50/50) during the winter (it very rarely gets colder than -20C in Skåne (Swedens southern-most county).
//NiSk
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

James - go for it!
Like i said, no problems at all running it on 50/50 - saved me a few bob too. But the smell was something else! Apparently Tesco's rapeseed oil doesnt smell as much. (Just paranoid anout C&E as they often do stop checks around here due to the prolific use of Red derv.)
Running Bosch you should have no problems at all.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Is Skåne not the area where they play a fiddle made from a wooden clog?
shezads

Post by shezads »

How do you mix? Do you mix the two outside the tank, or do you just pour them straight in? If so, which one first?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

"Is Skåne not the area where they play a fiddle made from a wooden clog?"
?? not as far as I am aware! (mind you, they do a lot of other wierd things!)
" How do you mix? Do you mix the two outside the tank, or do you just pour them straight in? If so, which one first?"
Thus far, I have filled about 10 l diesel, then poured in the oil and then topped up the tank with diesel. I always run the tank until the warning light comes, then drive to my favourite station and brim it.
//NiSk
beezer

Post by beezer »

"The poor and destitute fiddlers in the province of Skåne during the 19th century were often called "barley fiddlers". Despite the negative connotation, the "barley fiddlers" carried a true musical treasure in their many tunes. On this recording this important musical heritage is in focus and often performed on clog fiddles, a characteristic Skåne fiddle made from used right foot clogs."
Maybe they are weirder than you think! I have friends involved in the spelmanslag scene up in Jämtland which is why it rang a bell. It would be interesting to try the diesel-veg oil-freezer experiment with increased amounts of veg oil until waxing ocurrs. I would probably get shot for having diesel in the freezer though.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

In my simple little 'experiment' I am just pouring the oil into the cars fuel tank.. No pre mixing, pre heating or anything. (read first post).
I did consider trying commercial bio diesel but I don't know where to get it, I heard about a firm in Trafford park but when I emailed them for more info they failed to reply..
So I decided to take the simple route and bought ordinary cooking oil instead.. The tank now contains 14 litres of oil and the rest, 40 litres max? but in actuality probably nearer 30 litres normal diesel, as the fuel guages on the ZX are not erm totaly accurate. [:o)].. So far the car smells, runs, starts, and drives in a perfectly normal manner..
All I know for sure is the amount of oil I added, (14 litres) and the fact that the guage reads full.. When the guage drops a bit I will add more oil, test run it again, and post the results here. [:)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Added the rest of the oil last night, didn't run the engine though..
But... Jean took my keys by mistake this morning. When she realised it was too late! Her door keys are on her car keyring, and they were indoors on the table.. dohh [:I].. So she took my car to work instead..
When she got home I asked if the car ran ok..She said no! it was faster than her Aura now? would I plzz check the Aura to find out why? heh heh [:o)] she didn't know about the oil test? need to know and all that? [;)]
But I also thought the Car was a bit faster, but had put it down to wistfull thinking or my imagination [:o)].. and also that it seemed to be using a bit more fuel? less mpg? But wont know till i fill up again. At this rate that will be in about 3 weeks! gauge still reads full [8)]
So thats approx 23 litres of oil in a 54 gall tank.. so? about 46% oil? ish? or more as the car may not be full?..
I drove it tonight.. Again all seems perfectly normal.. So thats it.. test over more or less.. [:)] I will post the MPG here when I fill up again..
I prob wont get any more oil.. Messing about in the cold and dark pouring from tin to can to car is not my idea of fun and with such low mileages its not worth the time it takes.
It was interesting though... [:o)] and the car is deffinately quicker.. I expected the oil to make it slower if anything.. hmmm... [:)]
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

When I tested cooking oil in October I felt that the car ran better on oil. For one week I was running on pure oil and it still performed well. At about 80% oil, the morning starting was much quieter although with a slower idle speed. My mpg figures were a little spoilt by the splitting of my cold start pipe - I’ve had a lot of trouble with the pipe splitting from time to time. Overall I lost 8 mpg although I usually fall 4 mpg when the cold start device is stuck on - so the cooking oil may have only lost me 4 mpg. With the mileage I do, cooking oil would save me around £40 a month; but buying 30l a week and pouring it from bottle to can to car is really too much trouble so I’m back to diesel now.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by James.UK</i>

I did consider trying commercial bio diesel but I don't know where to get it, I heard about a firm in Trafford park but when I emailed them for more info they failed to reply..
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
: Gary Armstrong mx51gaz@yahoo.co.uk
This is the guy to mail im Manchester re Bio-Diesel.
More expensive than SVO/Diesel mix, but less expensive than dino- diesel. Also cosiderably less expensive than a visit from C&E.
Picking up the AX today - plan to see how the 1.5 runs on SVO in the near future once serviced.[;)]
windy
My Cars:

Post by windy »

No need to be paranoid about HMCE as its easy to register with them, declare your veg oil use and pay the duty. I ran my last BX on 50/50 veg oil/diesel in the summer and 20/80 in the winter. It seemed fine. Now trying 20/80 in my Xantia. This is used oil so its free. I filter it and add the recommended dose of Millers diesel additive.