Oil - fuel test.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

James.UK
My Cars:

Oil - fuel test.

Post by James.UK »

Purely out of interest and curiosity, I am trying some 'cooking oil' in my 'K' ZX...
I paid £10,50 for a can containing approx 6 gallons from a small local bakery owned by a friend of mine.. I filled up with diesel, then after 120 miles I added 7 litres of the oil, neat, straight from a clean plastic watering can into the fuel tank..
At the moment I am doing very little mileage, 100 a week or less, but I intend to add more oil as the fuel level goes down, untill all the oil has been used, the car starts to smell, or something sounds-feels iffy.. [:I]
Done 50 miles since oil added, so far, I cant see, hear, feel, or smell any difference.. Fuel guage reads full so wont add more untill it drops a bit.. I will post the results and anything worth a mention on here..
This is a 'just for fun test' as my mileage is now going to be so little, cost wont really be an issue.. [:)]
beezer

Post by beezer »

Get someone to rev it when cold and you stand by the exhaust. The smell will be 'different'. When you get to 50% mix the smell will be not unlike the chippy down the road.
samcro

Post by samcro »

Sounds interesting!
Did you filter the oil in any way? If so, what with? I guess it was used oil?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

37p per litre is as cheap as I've seen any oil...
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

The oil is new, it comes in plain silver 6 gallon metal-tin cans devoid of any labels..? The shop buy in bulk from somewhere, I didn't ask where.. The shop owner owns a diesel 4x4? heh heh.. I just bought the one can from him.. I can find out where they buy from and exactly what the oil is if anyone wants to know.. But its deff a good quality veggie oil..
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Welcome to the frying squad;)
Stewart
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Stewart.. added another 7 litres tonight.. total added is now 14.. gauge reads full again. Car seems perfectly normal.. :-D
samcro

Post by samcro »

Have you noticed the oil get more viscous at low temps? I'm no expert here but I think veg oil can become a bit thick when it gets cold. Have heard of preheaters on the fuel lines etc on some 'conversions'. Maybe a mix of diesel and veg oil keeps it all flowing OK?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The Lidl rapeseed oil I've been using (yes! at last they've started selling it in Sweden!) definitely gets more viscous as the temperature drops, but as long as its mixed with regular diesel it doesn't sem to cause any problems. We've had outdoor temps down to about -8 C and that didn't do anything untoward to a 1 liter bottle I left outdoors, but when I put it in the freezer (-22C) I got wax precipitation after about 8 hours.
//NiSk
samcro

Post by samcro »

Here's something to try then. Mix, say, half and half diesel oil and veg oil and try putting it in the freezer. See if wax starts forming.
Have had temps down to -8C already this winter in Scotland.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

James,
It would be a good idea to check out the make of your fuel pump. If it is a Bosch one you will be ok to run upto a 40% mix of vegi/derv.
If your fuel pump is a Lucas one, I would suggest that you stop fueling with vegi oil as the Lucas pump seals dont like vegi oil and cause them to 'corrode.
After a short run with vegi oil, you won't have done any damage at all.
I just had my Xantia MOT'ed, and have been running it with about a 30% mix of vegi/derv. Passed first time and with a 0.8ppm emmisions which is good when the failure is 3.5ppm, so vegi/derv mix is good for clean air too.
Regards
Paul
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

There's a half liter going in the freezer now (50/50 rapeseed/city díesel) - see how it looks tomorrow!
//NiSk
shezads

Post by shezads »

Nisk - does it start perfectly in the old temperatures you guys get - or does it crank for a long time? Once started does it shugg for a while and run rough until warm?
What mix do you use in winter?
I experimented - and in the winter 50/50 seems fine - may stretch to 60-40 veg/diesel.
I have new glowplugs, bosch pump.
Does this mean I have an air leak?
samcro

Post by samcro »

Anyone tried this with the lucas pump/injectors?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I'm just at the start of my experimenting. So far I've run my '98 2.5TD XM on about 10% rapeseed oil - only effect is the smell is far less acidic. I'm progressing carefully so as not to risk cloging the fuel filter or injectors up with old diesel residue. If the experiment in the freezer shows no signs of wax precipitation, I'll start increasing the amount of veg oil.
From all the reports I've heard/read, a 50/50 mix should not have any effect on starting ability, even when cold, so you may well have an air leak. The test is to pump up the fuel by hand first thing in the morning and see if that makes a difference - if it does, you've got an air leak.
//NiSk