Xantia Oil Change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

p20

Xantia Oil Change

Post by p20 »

Hello. Just done my first oil change on my Xantia HDi. Is there any way of removing the filter without spilling oil down the engine front? My previous cars(non citroen) have all been horizontal(so not as messy), where as the Xantia one points down over. Just asking so i know for next time.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I can manage it without getting much beyond a dribble down the block, the trick is to be very quick in getting the filter veritcal once you've got it unscrewed. Then all you have to do is manouvre it around various cables and pipes, without dropping it or pouring its contents on the floor. If you get it out without smothering various cables / pipes with oil you get extra points.
In any case, I leave newspaper underneath the car to catch the inevitable spillage.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

I've found that holding arag around the filter as you removed it stops it being sick down your arm.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Use a large plastic bag with elastic band: stops all drops and spills..
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i must admit i never bother i just let the oil run down the side of the block and then clean as much as i can off with a rag. [:)]
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

I find that the main problem is the 'monkey and the food in a jar' trick. I can get my, large, hands down between the mass of pipes to unscrew the filter but have great dificulty getting my hand back out whilst holding the filter.