Rattle/Noise

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shezads

Rattle/Noise

Post by shezads »

I'am getting a rattle from the engine - its a lot noisier then usual - sounds like the a tractor. It sounds like its coming from the cambelt area. Drives fine, just a lot noisier then usual - getting a vibration through gearbox. Don't think its an engine mount - as its doing it on idle - does really increase/decrease as you accelerate.
Any ideas.
Did have the head rebuilt after cambelt snap about 2000 miles ago. Has run fine - although it engine did seem noisier to me. Damage to original head was two bent valves and broken cam - all replaced.
Car is a 94 ZX TD
Any ideas? Will be getting mechanic to have a look today.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

What car / engine?
If it's an HDi, suspect the crank pulley. However, given the head has been off for major surgery, it could be a dropped valve or something.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Cam sprocket, camshaft mountings - could be one (or more) of a number of things worked loose. Get it in quick!
shezads

Post by shezads »

***************Update*******************
Had mechanic look at (or rather listen to) the problem. Noise seems to be coming from either:
alternator
power steering
tensioner (for above)
There also seems to be very fine reddish orange dust on the oil filter and areas surrunding the back of the alternator - looks like copper dust.
Seems to me the alternator is failing? The only explanation is the alternator coil/insides.
Will look at replacing the tensioner as this seems a little noisy - and may look at sourcing a 2nd hand power steering pump as this has a very slight leak! May as well get the whole lot done while we're there.
This is on top of the wishbone (probably replace both)!!
Looks like an expensive month [:(!]
Ah well at least its not the engine valves/conrod etc.
P.S: Does any one know if the following parts of a xantia will fit the zx (same engine, 1.9 td or hdi?):
Alternator
Power steering pump
Cheers - would be of great help.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by shezads</i>

***************Update*******************
Had mechanic look at (or rather listen to) the problem. Noise seems to be coming from either:
alternator
power steering
tensioner (for above)
There also seems to be very fine reddish orange dust on the oil filter and areas surrunding the back of the alternator - looks like copper dust.
Seems to me the alternator is failing? The only explanation is the alternator coil/insides.
Will look at replacing the tensioner as this seems a little noisy - and may look at sourcing a 2nd hand power steering pump as this has a very slight leak! May as well get the whole lot done while we're there.
This is on top of the wishbone (probably replace both)!!
Looks like an expensive month [:(!]
Ah well at least its not the engine valves/conrod etc.
P.S: Does any one know if the following parts of a xantia will fit the zx (same engine, 1.9 td or hdi?):
Alternator
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Probably
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Power steering pump
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Certainly not; the Xantia power steering is run from the centralised hydraulic system. For an alternative parts supply try 306 or *possibly* 405. I would imagine there would be more ZX's in scrapyards...
shezads

Post by shezads »

Does anyone know if the the power steering pump is the same on the xsara/ 306/ berlingo - on later models?
E.g. - 98 onwards 19 td.
Is the N/A diesel the same power steering pump? -As long as the same car is non-air con?
I'am guessing the alternator is the same.
Help much appreciated. Would save me alot of money!
shezads

Post by shezads »

Sorry to keep posting about this, but need all the help I can get.
Assuming the rattle/noise is coming from the alternator - can this be fixed - as it is charging ok? There is what looks like copper dust being thrown around - which can only be coming from the alternator (right?)- does this sound like the bearings? There is no play in the alternator pulley - I would have thought that if the bearings were going/gone or it was about to seize then there would be some play?
Thanks for all your help.
beezer

Post by beezer »

It is quite possible the alternator has a phosphor bronze bush bearing which is breaking up. There would likely be play though you might not notice from the pulley end because it would be at the other end of the armature. It could also be from the commutator.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

There are sublte differences in the position of the mounting bolt holes down the model years, I recently changed an alternator on my zx td with one from another zx td, it wasn't the same, but I usually have a spare engine or two lying around and was able to swop the pump/alternator mounting bracket for the right one to fit that alternator.
An alternator doesn't have a comutator it has slip rings, if the bearings are going down the shaft could be running out of true or oscilating and the slip rings could be suffering as a result.
Dave
beezer

Post by beezer »

Yes it has slip rings which do the same job as a commutator and are copper. More likely that is what is grinding away. Phoshor bronze is a little harder and a different colour.
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

Fine reddish dust? Try using a magnet to see if it is rust or copper/bronze. I suspect rust and a failed timing belt tensioner (had same problem on Audi A4 TDI)
shezads

Post by shezads »

Thanks all,
Will be taking alternator off tomorrow - and take it in to auto electrical place - see if it can be repaired, and to determine if it is the cause of the noise.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

You have tried running the engine with the alternator belt off in order to rule out other things?
Stewart
shezads

Post by shezads »

Yes the mechanic has taken the alternator belt off, and noise disappears
shezads

Post by shezads »

Latest update:
Whilst taking the alternator out & speaking to the mechanic, noticed that the reddish dust was not on the back cover of the alternator itself. If the dust came from the alternator - then that should have been covered in it.
Took the tensioner off as this was also suspect - had the alternator tested at a auto electrician on the bench - passed ok - not rattling.
Renewed the tensioner - solved most of the rattle - so it seems like that was the culprit. The noise is still there, but not nearly as loud. This seems to be coming from the power steering pump. It has a very slight leak - so I'll get this changed.
Bought two wishbones and ball joints & 1 cv boot, plus the tensioner - comes to £141!
Still have the pump to source!!
Damn this car is getting costly!!