Fitting an inline fuel heater opinions?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

caveman_si
My Cars:

Fitting an inline fuel heater opinions?

Post by caveman_si »

Ive been toying with the thought of fitting one, i know its a little over kill living in the uk but im a fan of over engineering and im considering running the car on "alternative fuels" in the near future. Any thoughts on where to fit it though? Most people say fit it close to the fuel tank and others are saying as close to the fuel filter. I can see the benifits of both but just wanted to hear some of your opinions. before i decide where if even to fit one.
cheers
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Which car are you doing this to?
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Why not go the full delmonty, and fit an engine heater. You know like old Land Rovers have fitted in line for the coolant.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Or like Citroën attempted with the XM TD12 - only due to poor choice of materials, the damn things are so pourous that they leak in air and cause more problems than they cure!
//NiSk
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

sorry forgot to say was in bit of a rush the car is a pug 405td. Would ask over in the pug group but you guys seem more active and from what ive read, more interested in proper car mods none of this blue led rubbish and boys racers.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

If it has the later type motor with the fuel filter mounted on the thermostat housing then it already has one, some 405s had an inline electrical one which would be an easy fit (look in the breakers for 309/405/205 diesels with what looks like a eight inch piece of steel pipe about threequarters of an inch dia with an electrical connection on it) a switch, a relay and bobs yer uncle, are you experiencing fuel viscosity problems?
Stewart
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Hi,
How about fitting a night heater like they have in trucks---I think you can still get 12v ones. This way, you get a lovely warm car, and the unburnt diesel goes back to tank, warming the rest of the go-go juice at same time. Job done.
Regards,
Greg
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Night heaters use a small amount of fuel but large dollops of electricity, even trucks with large batteries are recommended to start them whilst the engine is running, I have often thought about something like the Kenlowe hotstart which requires a mains connection but will give you a warm engine and heating/demist from the off.
Stewart
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Blue LED's now there's a mod I've never thought of. Couple of the works cars have blue lights on the roofs. Ain't never seen no boy races with that kind of mod LOL. As for the fuel heater if your realy desperate I know that the Vauxhall Astra (96 1.7) model diesel had a heater that was in line above the fuel heater. It was seperate to the housing and could be removed by undoing the fuel unions and filter. You just need a 12volt swith and alive supply to operate.
Gregg1100
My Cars:

Post by Gregg1100 »

Didn`t the BX have a fuel heater at back of engine, on the diesels.
Greg
caveman_si
My Cars:

Post by caveman_si »

Blue lights on the roof now that has to be the ultimate car mod. beats a go faster stripe anyday of the week.