pin retaining clutch fork arm

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

colin.dibley
My Cars:

pin retaining clutch fork arm

Post by colin.dibley »

would anyone be familiar with the pin which holds the clutch release arm to the connected shaft?
it's the BE3 gearbox & the pin in question has a thread on one side (plain the other), but no flats or other features to which a tool could be used to remove it.
so i'm wondering if the pin is an interference fit; seems unlike with the thread. but if it is threaded, what's the best way to remove it?
the haynes shows a plain pin, held in with a wire clip, but mine has a thread on one side as explained.
thanks in advance for any help, which will be greatly appreciated!
colin
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Colin,
Very familiar with this pin and the problems of getting it out. If you see threads do you think someone has replaced the proper pin with a bit of bolt?
The normal pin can be near impossible to remove and they are only supposed to be a light sliding fit....if an old bolt has been wacked in you're in for a fight!!
How much sticks out?
David
colin.dibley
My Cars:

Post by colin.dibley »

David,
thanks for your advice. i accept what you say, but it doesn't look bodged. also, before buying the car, it was owned by the company i work for from new, so will have been looked after profesionally (got all the service docs). thus i think it unlikely that someone would have used a bit of a bolt.
on the accessible side, there is about 10mm thread exposed, so i guess i could try to bolt something onto it to get an anchorage.
i suppose it's good to have a new spare pin to hand before starting!
colin
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Colin,
If you have that much thread then a nut should go on an act as something to grip. I've had the plain pin on a Xantia so badly stuck the only answer was to cut the lever away with an angle grinder so the pin could be knocked out. However the replacement arm/pin assy was over £40.
Someone else here a while back said they actually knocked away part of the gearbox casting to get to the back of their pin, couldn't quite bring myself to do that!
David
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Mine came out easilly when I changed my clutch.
As a bodge, if the pin wouldn't come out, I'd weld something to it that could either be hit with a hammer, or screwed to force it to come off (bolt with nut on and a piece of pipe...)