Key fob programming

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Robin
My Cars:

Key fob programming

Post by Robin »

Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I have two infra red working together and have had since new. It was delivered with two plips. Try it. R
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Does that work with the older Xantiae with key-pad immobilisers? The bit about holding the plip near the ignition switch seems a bit irrelevant for them.
Or is that just part of the magic - like making sure the moon is full and you walk anticlockwise around the car three times first.
PJ
kafkaian

Post by kafkaian »

I've never been able to reprogram mine. Followed all the instructions. Oh well
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I have never had to try and reprogramme mine but in questioning Citroen here about a spare for the XM I was told that you have to have a pair of plips with different end digits to each other. Apparently inside there is a code number and sometimes a letter. A or B. You have to use A and B plips as a matched pair or different end number codes.
This would be the case for either the IR or the 'other' type as fitted to later cars.
Just what the other type is I cannot say, other then it's a perishing nuisance because I can lock and unlock the car from within the house at a range of around fifty yards! R
shezads

Post by shezads »

Anyone know how to programme the old zx styple plips?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

The first thing to do with an IR plip is to see if a digicam can see it working.
If it can, the camera's viewfinder screen will show up the IR as white light.
Try a new battery if it doesn't and then go to the BX DIY site, listed in the useful links on this forum as "BXers' bible"and find there Bob Smith's article about recoding plips.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Provided they can be reprogrammed (I've never actually tried the method posted), why shouldn't you have two? I don't understand why they need to be 'A' and 'B' types - the receiver can't 'know' whether you're using the same key or different ones, as long as it receives the expected code.
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

I understand the A and B element is something to do with the system being able to remember which code it last accepted. However that surely only relates to the system that changes the code each time it's used?
That is not the IR system is it?
Does the other one use a radio frequency? Robin
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Yes, this is the code hopping system. The receiver memorises two codes to EEPROM one of which changes when the plip is operated. Either code (key) is acceptable but both are different which is why there are two stored codes.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

My fob seems to be getting weaker - probably needing a new battery after seven years.
If I change the battery will it need reprogramming?
Can I get the battery in a sensible (non-Citroen) shop?
PJ
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

PJ, I have changed the batteries a couple of times in mine and never gave reprogramming a thought! So should be OK.
I got my batteries from Boots when they were doing a BOGOFF promotion[:D]
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Definitely possible to have two plips - I have two that both work.
Robin,
Thanks for reassurance. Got new batteries on Saturday and it's great - I don't have to clean a circle of window to get the thing to work now!
PJ
Pat
My Cars:

Post by Pat »

Ok .I have the plip from a 95 xantia ( Spanish model with no keypad or deadlocks only 1 button) which I bought new a year ago, I would like to know if it is poss to reprog it to work on my 97 activa with keypad etc.
Obviuosly the deadlocking wont work as its only got one button but is the reproramming possible? Any thoughts on the matter?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Pat,
You know you can deadlock with the key in the door by turning to lock and holding it there for a few seconds? Useful if the alarm is not behaving.
PJ