nut removal

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

espzetec

nut removal

Post by espzetec »

as posted earlier, the pipe i want to release is the metal high pressure pipe on the hydraulic pump.
The pump itself has come away as the bolts have sheard off!
This is making it incredibly difficult to undo the nut.
Im also hindered by the lack of space in the engine bay, whihc means i cant get the appropriate leverage?
I did notice the same on the scrap car when i removed it, so i simply cut through the metal pipe. Then when i went to undo the nut it was very easy? is this due to the fact that I had relieved some pressure?
seems a simple explanation. If so, how can i unod the nut without damaging the pipe?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The obvious question, have you made sure that your accumulator sphere is depressurised (12 mm nut on the pressure regulator)?
If you have, the only thing I could suggest is plus gas and a little time or trying to get at it from a different angle with your spanner. Maybe a length of pipe on the spanner might help if you can get it in.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

whats plus gas?
I have depressurised the system yes mate
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Plus Gas is a penetrating and easing fluid, available from any sparesa shop as an aerosol- if you're skint or can't get to a shop, paraffin does a similar job.
Dont use WD40, its a lubricant and water displacer but does nothing in the penetration way, as the actress said to the bishop.........
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

The obvious thing would be to jack the car up on its suspension (and support it) so you could get at the pump from underneath (assuming you didn't have had aircon). It would be obvious, if the hydraulic pump was working...
Do you have access to any ramps? Is there a convenient curb you could put a wheel or two on to give you some more clearance underneath the car?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

For the sake of saving yourself hassle, it might be worth sacrificing the pipe and replacing it with a new or S/H one afterwards.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

not likely mate! It took me ages to find a scrap car with this pipe/pump on it! like gold dust round here! only thing for it is to get it off the correct way im afraid.
the only problem working under the car is the fact that the more i try to turn the nut, the more the pump turns (and therefore the pipe bends - NOT GOOD)
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Have you tried holding the pipe/spanner static and turning the pump?
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

cant get enough force that way!
the pump is no twisted right round 180 degrees (which cant be good for the pipes!)
im going to jam a brick under it and whack the spanner with a hammer today, see if that works?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

If you have turned the pump through 180 degrees, the pipe must be rotating inside the collar or it would long ago have sheared off. Can you not get to the other end of the pipe on the regulator and remove the pump and pipe together so you can get proper access to get the nut undone? The pipe is unlikely to be THAT expensive, and if you can find someone near you that can make copper pipes up a replacement it will be pretty cheap (it not Plaeides do mail order, and may well have that pipe on the shelf, but if not can make it up for you if you tell them how long it is). You might slip with a spanner or hammer down there and put it through the rad, which WILL cost way more than a new pipe....!
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

i could "try" and remove the pipe from the accumulator butall the nuts taht hold the pipe brakets are a pain in the ass to get to!
the pipe has not twisted, its just flexed slightly.
espzetec

Post by espzetec »

right, cant do it! im going to have to cut through the metal pipe?
Citroen are the only people who can supply a new pipe and its £30 with a wait of 2 days!
Kowalski

Post by Kowalski »

Your local independant can probably make up a new pipe for you, unless its one of the coiled ones, I'd get that done rather than wait for Citroen to get their fingers out...