Purflux filters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rob Marshall

Purflux filters

Post by Rob Marshall »

Hi Guys!
Over the years of owning Citroens, I have always used Purflux filters. This was especially relevant when the FRAM oil filter on my GSA used to drain when the thing was parked & starting was a very gentle affair. Replaced with purflux, no probs ever since.
I also have a Triumph Dolomite 1500 which has the same problem of draining oil out of its filter. I have tried various types of filter, and the best so far is teh AC Delco (or DELPHI) X1 filter.
I would therefore like to try a Purflux filter in my Dolomite. However, the only suppliers over here supply filters for French cars. Having cross referenced the Dolomite OHV engine, the same filter fits the usual Triumph crop (Herald, Spitfire, MG Midget 1500) but also the Meastro 1300 A series lump (Although oddly it doesnt specify MINI). On their European website, Purflux do supply filters for teh 1300 Maestro:
Question is, where can I buy one to try???!
Cheers again guys! (BX is having a weeks rest while I use the yellow peril!)
ROB
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

Are purflux owned by anyone else??? CAn anyone advise me?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try http://www.purflux.com/pcatuk.html
NOTE : the homepage is slooooooow [B)]
Then give GSF a call with the type you need.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Practical Classics had an oil filter interchangeability guide in the Dec 2004 issue. I've just had a quick look and strangely it says that the Maestro 1.3 filter is not the same as the MG/Triumph 1500 one. Apparently your filter should be the same as the one fitted to a Fiat Chroma 2.5 D/TD
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

....what year is your Dolomite? Practical Classics suggest this filter only for 1976 to 1980 models. They don't give any details for Dolomites produced before then, so their data could be incomplete.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

This is possibly off topic to the extent that it's not eclusively about Purflux filters but more filters per se' and is a copy of a post I did on another board here in Oz a few weeks back.
If nothing else, I think it highlights that whilst Purflux are possibly still the best filter for a French car, other companies are in there too that are producing an equally good product often at a fraction of the cost.
Naturally I got slated for posting these views as some had the mentality that said if it's not expensive it's not good; but price doesn't always govern quality, that governs company profits.
Hope it's some interest & help in situations such as this.
"Wander into an auto accessory place and tell them you want an oil filter and they'll look in a book and come back with a Ryco or equivalent.
Ask a Froggy mechanic for a filter for the car and they'll quote Purflux and tell you they are THE filter for French cars usually followed by a horror story or two about the guy who used another brand and stuffed his motor. Ask why and it's usually a case of "well it just does that's why!!" and no further explanation.
Go to the same shop and tell them you want 5 litres of oil and they'll talk for hours on all the plusses & minusses of various grades and make ups but when it comes to the filter, most seem oblivious of the fact that filters have specs too.
Out of curiosity today, I called into the distributor of a new brand of Oil filters made I think it's in Indonesia. FSA brand (I think it was) and did this due to having seen one cut open & it seemed to be extremely well made and sold for about a third of the price of Purflux.
I asked which type I needed and was told that it was a certain model number which I questioned as I knew the equivalent in Ryco & whilst I was told none were in stock, the number that rang true to me was sitting there looking at me.
A reference to a specification book showed that a filter to suit my car was a different number, but it looked the same so why?????
It seems the one I thought was it (and I have been sold before) has a by pass valve pressure of 8psi; an earlier model car has one of 20psi and the correct one for my car was 30psi. In other words, if my oil pressure were to have any kind of obstruction which would cause the pressure to exceed 8psi with the wrong filter fitted, the by pass valve would drop into play and by pass the filter causing unfiltered oil to go through my engine
So remember next time you go to buy that filter that may seem a good buy; it could easily send unfiltered oil through the engine at the drop of a hat.....nice thought hey??
Apparently most filter manufacturers have a specs book so it's worth seeing for yourself what these things do as I understand that some cheap filters don't even have this feature so if the filter blocks, it's good bye engine and........hellooooo Bank manager.
Alan S "
One of the companies referred to is this one:
http://www.adr-group.com/p_quality.html
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

You may have the better weather, but a Purflex is under £3 from your favorite parts supplier, Alan.
OTOH, a pattern filter for my imported Toyota MPV is £15! Wonder if a Purflex will fit?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I think you're missing the point arry.
I'm not on about the price even though it's known out here that they charge up to A$45 each for them. The point is that when you buy a filter, you go in & ask for a filter for a ***** (whatever Car brand or model) and that is what is supplied.
What are the technical specs of that filter? In the advent of the stockist suddenly being out of stock & say a breakdown at the factory, would you know what kind of filter would be the equivalent? If Purflux decided to "rationalise" its product range as other makers have done, are you sure that the replacement will be the same as the ones we get now? I'm sure they wouldn't be, because I bought a few parts off a guy a couple of years back for my 16V. In the box were a couple of Purflux filters which were for the BX16V. I then bought at a later date some new Purflux filters off GSF for the same car and by accident noticed that the old one was about 50% greater capacity than the ones I had bought a few years later. I have also bought other brand filters for both the 16V and CX due to Purflux not being readily available out here and these were sold as equivalents, but as I pointed out, this also turned out to be not so.
The filters I mentioned above, have the correct by pass pressure valve as well as the anti drain valve in them, so we're talking top design ethics and also loads of actual filter area; they have a cutaway on display. Very impressive.
I also have bought Purflux "Made in France" as well as other places of unknown origin and I have to ask, are they the same quality?
I have never seen anyone walk into a garage and just ask for "5 litres of Shell oil please" without also saying whether he wanted 5W-40 or 25W-60 and if he wanted Mineral, semi synth or synthetic oil, yet my point is that we go into a parts place and ask for an oil filter without ever knowing what the specs of that filter are and in engines where the oil pressures can reach cricket score figures, how risky is that.
I still use Purflux when I can, but I think other alternatives can also be looked at based on quality and specifications not on price or simply brand name, because as we all know, what is made in France now can be made in a 3rd World Country next week like Michelin tyres. Ours are made in Thailand, Brazil, Chile, Cambodia, Malaysia in fact everywhere just about but France & I can see the same happening with these in the not too distant future and my suggestion is that we might as well be ready for when it does.
Alan S
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

I agree with you alans. With lots of oil filter brands you are never quite sure what you are getting, so i stick with a purflux which is actually cheaper on the net than, say, a champion from halfords.
In the end if the make of filter you prefer is not available, then i would only use another respected name such as Mahle.
I think it just comes down to reputation rather than specs.I do not know if the mahle filter i fitted to my car a while back is of the exact correct specs, i just know that it fitted perfectly! You just have to trust the manufacturer that they produce a good quality product.
Try this link for some interesting info -
www.autoair.co.uk/Filters.htm
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

These guides in magazines are often poorly researched and wrong.
That diesel Fiat takes a filter with a larger thread and about twice the physical size...plus a diferent valving spec...not the same as a Triumph 1500 one at all.
The same filter will fit the Spitfire 1.3/1.5, Triumph 1500, Midget 1.5, and any 1.3 Marina/Ital/Maestro/Montego without an oil cooler.
I'm amazed you are finding much difference between mainstream filters if they are all the corrects fittment. I've only known problems where the wrong one has been fitted, or a very cheap "boot sale" brand where one was listed that did actually fit... but they'd made no attempt to make sure the internals were correctly to spec.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by D J Woollard</i>

These guides in magazines are often poorly researched and wrong.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That one certainly appears to be, looking at it again. It shows the 83-84 Maestro 1.3 as having about 5 different possible filter sizes, which, if it were true, would make them interchangeable with loads of other cars that I know it can't possibly be interchangeable with !
Twiss

Post by Twiss »

i know this a is a little off topic. i have used Cooper oil filters (get them from unipart) and found there pretty good i have also tried citroen and lucus filters but they seemed to be not as good. so are these purflux filter better then cooper filters ?
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

The quote of Dolomites from 1976 - 1980 would indicate the 1300 & 1500 cars, i.e. MINE!!!
I have now got a Purflux part number: L27545.
Question is: where to get one from: GSF obviously don't stock them!!
Jon

Post by Jon »

Purflux filters are generally deemed superior due to the double pleated chevron design of the filtration material which is claimed to offer better filtration properties than the normal straight cut design of other filters.
BTW Purflux English catalogue is at http://www.filtrauto.com/pcatuk.html
Rob Marshall

Post by Rob Marshall »

The main issue is that the Triumph 1500 engine is prone to draining its oil out. My GSA with a purflux filter never let its oil light stay on after starting (& that's with the filter positioned upside down!)
I have tried other filters, to be honest the orange fram one was terrible, the white AC Delco (Now Delphi) was the best; but I would like to try Purflux. The other consideration is the patterned surface area of the paper filter means there is a greater surface area than other normal filters.
Anyway, a supplier is all I need! I plan to test one, and if Im impressed, will order a large quantity for the owners club.
ROB