Intermittent Stop Light

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kipkenya
My Cars:

Intermittent Stop Light

Post by kipkenya »

I'm getting an intermittent problem with the stop light coming on. First off Xantia 96 CT 93,000Km. New accumulator, LHM just replaced, and filters cleaned, All of the other spheres have just been check with two requiring top up.
First thing in the morning it is worse but the problem is tending towards happening more often.
Start the car and light goes out. Drive 100m light comes on another 100 meters goes out. I leave plenty of time for the pressure to build up. On the expressway the other day, it was turning on and off, all the way at about 30s intervals but not consistent. It happens on smooth or bumps, straight or curve road. Accumulator is clicking at the 30second approx mark.
Any suggestions
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Check the simple thing first : LHM reservoir level !
If you doubt the float indicator, then set the car to LOWest, engine off. Check the reservoir level is some 1" down, no lower down. Your finger is a perfect gauge.
In case you overfill it has no other consequences than a messy spill.
kipkenya
My Cars:

Post by kipkenya »

No LHM just replace and definitly at the right level. Problem first started before I changed the LHM. Which I don't think had ever had filters cleaned or oil changed. But then again neither had the spark plugs pollen filter, petrol filter, but thats another story
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Done Citaerobics ?
You may have a problem with a leaking pump feed hose. This can not be seen as it's under vacuum, but any air taken in will give pressure problems. Check the hose clamps for tightness and the hose surface for any fine surface hair crackings especially at the studs.
You may use a suitable size PVC (garden) hose as emergency repair.
kipkenya
My Cars:

Post by kipkenya »

Up, down shake it all about. Yes.
Thanks I'll try the vacum thing sounds plausable. I had one of the return lines disintergrate. Like chedar cheese. So the integrety of the pipes is suspect.
Presumably sucking air would give any return from the pressure regulator foamy look. I'll have a look at that, as it's an easy thing to check.
kipkenya
My Cars:

Post by kipkenya »

Well It was not a leak in the pump feed line. The problem was driving me crazy. Slowly getting worse. I kept checking things under the bonnet. Oils etc OK. Checking electrical conections. I'd think I'd fixed it and then it would show up again.
Then the other morning. Realy bad. Was down in the morning. Took longer to come up. Stop light on off all the way to work. Cornering not what it should be. Next morning my hydraulic oil is low and its wet around the drivers side sphere. Eventualy I found the oil leak, seeping out of the flexible high pressure, hose, to the sphere.
Bugger to get out. Remove computer box, loosen windscreen washer bottle, and air con reciever drier. Remove Headlights, Blinkers, Bumber bar, headlight and bonnet catch holder/ cross brace, what ever you call it.
This then allowed me to lever the Rediator up to pull the pipe out from under without having to remove it.
I did not install a new one. Instead I went to the local Hydralic pipe repair shop. They redid the rubber hose section for $142 Australian. I did not even try getting a new one, I'm sure it would have been more than that, and I got the repaired part in 1.5Hrs. Turn around about 6hrs, but it's the first time to pull the front off so I was feeling my way a bit.
I presume that the computer was sensing abnormal flow to one side, and hence the light. If I had some way to Interigat the computer It may have given more info, but I don't have the tools.

Moral to the story is that, perhaps, that little annoying light should be taken more seriously even if it does not beep at me. However was not game to take the car on any extended trips
No More Stop Light
Yippee