A pond too many

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

A pond too many

Post by uhn113x »

Hi folks
After a really heavy shower of rain, I noticed that the RH rear floor well in my 5-door ZX had its own mini Lake District in it. The car is parked on a slope, nose-up.
Question:
Do these suffer from blocked sunroof drains, like the BX? (bin there, dun that)
If so, how do you get to them?
Alternatively, is it possible that the plenum chamber drain is blocked and the water has run to the back? (it doesn't look as if it can do this)
Or are there any other possibilities? (door seal is fine)
TIA
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Mystified myself Mike - Only to say after a similar rain shower (torrent) with the car parked at my mother in Laws with the nose slightly up and inclined to the drivers side there was a paddling pool under the drivers seat and in the back footwell.
No dampness on the seats, never happened again.
Bit of a mystery that one.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

I cant help either Mike. [:I] Even with all the time I spent trying to re align the sunroof on the Aura I never found any sign of the drain holes.. I assume they are either too far back to be seen, or that all the water escapes via the front end... ?
Any chance it could be a siphon leak from your rear washer somewhere? Unlikely I know but I cant think of anything else.. [:I] Sorry to be so negative, I hope you can cure it easily when you do find it... [:)]
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Marty
Your experience seems to suggest that it is possible for water to run from the front of the floor to the rear - maybe it is just the drain on the plenum chamber - I'll have a look this weekend.
James
I don't think it is owt to do with the washers - there was probably nearly a litre of meths-free water in the rear footwell and a layer of ice inside the windscreen.
I wonder if the sunroof drain remained frozen while the rest of it thawed? Will see if the works manual gives a clue on the sunroof construction.
Having owned two BXs I am understandably paranoid about blocked sunroof drains! [;)]
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Hi Mike. If, as you say, the water may have come from the front, I have had two leaks on my ZX.. Both were caused by water leaking via the windscreen rubber bottom right hand side, and dripped onto the floor near the brake pedal forming a pool on the rubber mat.
My car is usually parked slightly nose down, but had my car been parked nose up maybe it could-would have run to the rear footwell?
I cured the leaks by prising the bottom part of the rubber screen seal away a little and spraying down into the slot thus formed liberally with silicone.. The first repair lasted about a year. So far, the last one is still working ok after a further 18 months. [^]
uhn113x
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I may do a hosepipe test, if I get around to it - it seems to be OK now!! We have had quite a bit of rain, but the pond only occurred when the car had a layer of snow on its roof.
We'll see [:)]
beezer

Post by beezer »

"...but the pond only occurred when the car had a layer of snow on its roof."
It was a pool of tears.
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I had the same thing as Marty a couple of times with my 1.4 ZX. About an inch of water on the right rear passenger floor. Only happened twice, never found the cause, never happened again. Strange....
Cuffy12
My Cars:

Post by Cuffy12 »

It must be the season for leaks,I found out this morning after my daughter sat down on the back seat and as she was reaching for the seatbelt she noticed a plant growing up the side of the seat near to the offside door.After tilting the seat up I saw that this plant was a small bean which had taken root on the mat on the seat well, and to my horror the well was swimming,and on inspection of the nearside it too was just the same. I've had a small damp patch for two years on roof lining on nearside seam near window and plastic trim ,but this looks equal on both sides and has not got in one side and swilled over, so I'm at a bit of a loss untill I strip the plastic off a bit and get the wifey to blast it with the hosepipe...unless anyone has had same problem and cracked it.
Cuffy12
My Cars:

Post by Cuffy12 »

Just found a few posts on the search from 2002..and it looks like tomorrows job is to check the sunroof drains, and also my parcel shelf strings dont retract as the spring inside is knackered which may be letting the strings foul the tailgate seal.