BX croaching while up/down

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX croaching while up/down

Post by czenda »

Hi, my BX croaches while rising from the lowest position or when lowered from the standard to the lowest position. The noise comes from the RH corner, sometimes present when full left turn engaged. I suspect lower arm balljoint - am I right? Any ideas heartily appreciated.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Have you tried the internal strut oiling trick?
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

I did (about a month ago, with Sviting, i. e. Italian equivalent of WD40). Maybe it is worth retrying before going through the pain of releasing a seized balljoint.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Actually, I thought that the "internal oiling" trick was to spray some WD40 into the opening below the sphere. It seems the trick is to put the rubber pipes leading from the strut (located by its lower end) into a jar filled with LHM, then rise and lower the suspension.
I am not very clear about the function of the trick - as far as I know, the rubber hoses are owverflow and air exhaust, i.e. both of them are "out-strut actions", i.e. there is no "sucking" action involved. If I am wrong, any explanation as for how the procedure works is welcome. Thanx.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I think using the word "Lubing" when referring to the internal job is misleading.
What I refer to it as is "Internal flushing" as I believe it's actually washing the scum off the internal walls of the struts. Any slight lubing is just a bonus.
Jack the car up & remove a front wheel. Pull the gaitor down from the top to expose the silver top shaft of the strut. Set the suspension to its highest position and spray the silver part with WD40 and wipe clean. Cover the silver part with (preferrably) Silicone grease or if necessary a water resistent grease such as used on boat trailer axles. Pull the two hoses off the subframes below the inner guard and wipe clean. Put them in a small container (preferrably glass so you can watch the level) containing LHM and get an assistant to totally lower the suspension. You will see bubbles appear in the container as it lowers. Keeping the hoses in the container, get the assistant to again raise the car to its highest setting; the level will slightly drop. When back at the top, check the grease is totally covering the silver part of the strut. If it's still black and mucky, wash it off and regrease it. Then get the assistant to drop the suspension again. Repeat this about 4 or 5 times. When convinced the grease is clean and covering the upper part of the strut effectively, refit the lines to the rubber pipes attached to the lower subframe and push the gaitor back up into position.
Alan S