xantia 1.9td starter motor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

glenndaleuk
My Cars:

xantia 1.9td starter motor

Post by glenndaleuk »

I think I need a new starter motor.The Engine is tuning over as if the battery is flat but battery is ok. My question is can the brushes be changed instead of replacing the whole starter motor.I`m thinking it would be a lot cheaper to do brushes than replace the unit. I have been quoted between £82 and £109+vat for a new starter which I cannot afford. And if so does anyone near Manchester know where brushes can be obtained. Thanks
Glenn
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Glenn,
How have you tested the battery to see if it is OK? How old is it? Have you checked for all the positive and earth connections between battery and starter.
David
glenndaleuk
My Cars:

Post by glenndaleuk »

Hi David
I tried to start the car with a fully charged new jump starter,but it made no difference I have charged the original battery overnight and have again tried to turn the engine but the engine will only just turn over maby once or twice.I have not yet looked for positive and earth faults my volt meter has also decided to die.The vehical has only covered 38000 miles and none of the connections have been touched yet. from a purly visable and hand check all seems well.
Glenn
beezer

Post by beezer »

You might find that cleaning the commutator is enough. Sometimes worn brushes can be diagnosed by tapping the end of the motor quite firmly with a hammer while someone cranks it. The starter will pick up momentum if the brushes are worn down. Lucas used to supply brushes but it is possible they just do replacement motors now. Manchester number/s :0161 872 5271/5275 (LSUK). They might be kind enough to tell you of a supplier.
Oh, and you might try cleaning the solenoid contacts too.
glenndaleuk
My Cars:

Post by glenndaleuk »

Thanks beezer
I`ll give lsuk a bell in the morning.