How many miles do you get out of your Xantia?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i get about 45 mpg out of my 94 1.9 td saloon and about 40 mpg out of my 98 1.9td estate (but it does have air con and is shaped very like a house brick)
drabux

Post by drabux »

Just to broaden the discussion a little, as a new person to Citroen ownership, I've been a bit surprised by the relatively poor fuel consumption reported here. Apart from my ZX D, I also own a Saab 9000 2.3 turbo. These are big cars and the stock output is 225bhp (I have fitted some bits to mine to produce 311bhp - recorded at Power Engineering) and at a steady 75mph most owners will get 40+mpg no problem. I get this with my 311bhp monster as well.
At 80 mph there really isn't that much difference between my ZX D and the Saab Aero in terms of mpg[:I] One reason may be the very high gearing of the Saab (5th gear is good for over 175mph at 6000rpm). Where I do notice a difference, however, is around town, where the ZX is far more economical and I'm lucky to better 26 mpg in the Saab.
One final point; have any of you taken into account how much the mileometer over reads on Citroens and therefore makes the fuel consumption look better than it is? When I drive from Bath to Aberdeen my Saab records 512 miles but when I did it in my ZX it recorded 537 miles. I then used my GPS watch and found that the ZX over-reads speed and distance by about 8% vs 1% for the Saab. In fact, I've checked this on other cars as well and whereas Saabs are typically very accurate Citroens, Fords and many others seem to drastically over-read.
Alan
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The most i`ve got was 730m before i filled it up.On average i get about 580m from a full tank,on a mix of roads to & from work.With the caravan i get about 370 from a full tank.
I too have managed to put 71 ltrs in it,so it must have been low!Fuel consumption was the same before i had it boosted.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

We used to get about 550-600 miles to a tank full. Now I have disconnected the auto a/c it hopefully will be more. It certainly is more powerfull without the a/c on most of the time i.e w/screen setting.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drabux</i>
One final point; have any of you taken into account how much the mileometer over reads on Citroens and therefore makes the fuel consumption look better than it is?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This is the question I asked in my previous post. Both my present Xantia and the previous BX both over record mileage by 5%. I frequently do a drive which all the route planners record as 1274 miles, but I always end up doing 1330.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

I get the impression that the XUD, particularly the turbo, was designed for performance rather than economy. In France where diesel fuel was always very cheap in comparison to petrol the MPG didn't matter so much. The fact that it ran on derv rather than petrol made it cheap to run, even if the mpg was no better.
Its not such a good proposition in the UK where derv is now actually dearer than petrol. Having said that, my 1.9TD does about 38 mpg in situations where the old BX 1.6 carb petrol used to do about 22 mpg!
zorgman
My Cars:

Post by zorgman »

checking my 1.9td with uprated turbo and fueling turned up i get about 38-40 mpg kicking about town etc long hauls never bothered just wack derv in and run it till light comes.