ZX 2.0 16V vs. 1.9 petrol Volcane

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gradeafailure
My Cars:

ZX 2.0 16V vs. 1.9 petrol Volcane

Post by gradeafailure »

I'm sure this discussion may have come up before, but I don't think that any definite conclusion was reached!
So is the 16V really that much better than the 8V Volcane? I've wanted one for ages and now that one has appeared for sale relatively near me, it's turning into a battle 'twixt heart and head! On the one hand, I am already driving a nice, nippy 1.9 Volcane with no complicated ACAV system to go wrong, no ABS to go wrong, and it's doing me fine - especially now that it's got a full new exhaust system (those manifold-to-centre section bolts were a pain to get to though!) and new discs and pads all round; but on the other hand, there's this tasty, top-of-the-range, '93 3dr 16 valver with tax, MOT, full service history and only 105k on the clock just appeared... But, it's going for about £500 more than I'd be able to get for the Volcane, and I'd be stretching my finances a bit to get it...
So - what are the opinions of those here who have had experience of both the Volcane and the 16V? Should I be sensible and stick with the old faithful, or is the 16V really worth the extra?
I need your help!
Seamster15
My Cars:

Post by Seamster15 »

Having driven two different 16v's K plate plus an L plate the experience I was left with was somewhat disturbing..... in the fact that my old c reg Golf GTi was significantly faster than both....... I think that you would be best staying with the Volcane, however the rear suspension on the 16v is fun whe pushing through the bends......
shezads

Post by shezads »

Would have been worth it (just) - if it was the later 167 bhp one - which is much better then the 'normal' 16v. The 167 is very rare, and is probably what the 16v should have been when its launched. Same engine as 306 gti6, but 5 speed box.
gradeafailure
My Cars:

Post by gradeafailure »

No, it's just the standard 155bhp version - I did see one of the 167bhp versions on eBay about 5 months ago on a P-plate but it was waaay out of my price range!
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

was it a dark green one on ebay?
gradeafailure
My Cars:

Post by gradeafailure »

Not on ohBoy for once actually! It's on AutoTrader, and it's from a Finance company in the south... But it is dark green[:D]
I was trying to be cagey about it in case anyone nips in and beats me to it, but I realised fair play to them if they do!