Immobiliser problem on '00 Xantia HDi Est

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paulstow
My Cars:

Immobiliser problem on '00 Xantia HDi Est

Post by paulstow »

I'm looking to confirm a diagnosis and for bright ideas on a fix.
If left armed, the alarm on my '00 Xantia will go off at random.
If left armed or just unlocked for a period of time the immobiliser will frequently prevent the car from being started. This seems more common after rain. In this condition, locking the door with the key causes the locks to immediately unlock again.
If I then fiddle with the passenger door lock, turning the key this way and that and holding it to force the door to remain locked when all the other unlock, then eventually the doors will remain locked. At this I can generally unlock and start the car.
Naturally, this is real pain and I have a fear that some time soon I will be stranded.
I'm wondering if there is some kind of microswitch in the lock mechanism which is loose or dirty. Any ideas??
Many thanks - Jez
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Paul,
Had lots of this type of problem on various cars, but actually not too much of it personally on Xantias. This unlocking a second after locking is quite common on them though and I have seen an unattended Xantia doing it in a car park!
This is a sign that either something is mechanically wrong in the locks or that a locking switch is seeing a fault that isn't there.
Just had similar on a Vectra which eventually failed with a stuck closed drivers door...great fun getting the trim off with the door closed!! The answer for the Vectra was a complete lock/switch/solenoid assy (£45) and job sorted.
Again a similar problem on a Land Rover Discovery the other week and this was a simple as a stiff pivot in the c/lock linkage so that the solenoid couldn't quite trip it into the fully locked position. This was then causing problems with the rest of the plip locking and the alarm. Just took oil to sort that one.
It seems you have narrowed it down to the pass' door, why not take off the door trim and see if anything is obviously wrong....failing that you may have to replace some bits.
Having the problem in the wet fits in with a door problem as there is far more rain getting into doors than many folks think.
David
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've had problems with a few Xantia N/S/F door locks doing strange things. On each occaision I removed the connector block from the lock, sprayed the joints with WD40, reassembled, job done.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Agree with Richard, the random unlocking problem is nearly always traced to the passenger side door latch and connectors.
Was talking to a friend who runs a Citroen workshop, and he keeps 2 lock mechanisms in stock!
paulstow
My Cars:

Post by paulstow »

Thanks guys, I will take apart and inspect/clean at the weekend.
Are there any screws holding the door trim on, or is a matter of fishing around for the inevitable plastic lugs??
Cheers - Jez