Late Xantia Immob - help please.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

David W
My Cars:

Late Xantia Immob - help please.

Post by David W »

Guys,
Anyone with a later Xantia 1998/9 who knows (or could look in their handbook) if it is possible to cancel the alarm manually if it's sounding and you have a key to get in the car.
Sadly my folks have had a set of keys for theirs stolen so Dad is getting Citroen to replace/recode his key/plip/Immob.
However Dad thinks there is no point in changing the actual door/steering locks and keys as he says if "they" tried to get in it would sound the alarm.
Now on the older Xantias as long as you have the key to put in the ign you can silence the alarm. Even if they can't drive his away because the immob code has been changed do you think they can turn the alarm off.
Apart from the obvious point that they could get into his car easily with the keys and quickly pinch anything from inside can you think of any way that his less than complete solution is leaving him open to losing the car?
For info his car is parked in the open on a parking space outside of his garden boundary...and they live on the edge of a "bad boys" estate where no doubt someone will be wandering about with his keys looking for an opportunity!
David
beezer

Post by beezer »

Keep a rotweiller in the back seat?
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

On my late '97 Activa if I open the door with the key, press the dash button and turn on the ignition - all within a short time like 10 seconds - the alarm will stop. Not easy with that noise going on, but possible.
It was round about 97/98 that the alarm system changed, there was no longer a key-operated alarm deactivating switch under the bonnet, and they did away with the keypad immobiliser.
PJ
beezer

Post by beezer »

Sorry, wasn't being flippant but it would be silly not to change the locks. Alarms don't prevent neds from getting in and doing damage to whatever they can.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Yep this is the latest type of immopb/alarm with a key transponder and no keypad...I'm not that familiar with its operation.
Beezer your comment accepted in the spirit was made...trouble is the folks only have a 10" high dog...its the "boys" who have the Rottys!
I do think he is mad not changing the door locks at least. This will be a local job and if they can't start the car they will probably damage it somehow out of spite.
I expect its multi CD changer will be on EBay before long!
David
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

People steal keys to steal cars. Why didn't the car get stolen when the keys went? Was it just the spare keys that got stolen i.e. the car wasn't there?
DJ Woolard is probably right about the neds damaging the car out of spite, if they can't steal it because of an alarm / imob they'll smash all sorts of expensive bits trying to hot wire it or to bypass the imob.
DarkendViper

Post by DarkendViper »

I would definately get the locks changed. If the insurers found out the the keys had been stolen that would give them a clause that could mean they don't have to pay out.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Update: Apparently the insurance company are covering the theft of vehicle keys and are insisting on the full lock set and plip/immob being replaced/recoded....about £500 in all!
David
beezer

Post by beezer »

Ouch!
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Ouch is right, but I didn't make it clear they are paying for it all under the theft of keys part of the policy....but when next year's renewal comes they be clawing it back no doubt!
David