xantia suspension prob

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Hi Natace, I'm afraid that still isn't very clear.
There are four positions on the height control.
Low - don't drive it, the car is on the floor and there's no suspension travel.
Normal - this is what the car should be set at for normal driving
Raised - this raises the car to full height, but there's still a little bit of suspension travel. Not for normal driving but useful for floods.
Full height - car on full height, no suspension travel - you mustn't drive the car at this setting.
If you can't easily push all four corners down with the car on normal ride height, the spheres are probably worn out. If you can, but the ride is still bad, chances are there's another problem.
I have this problem with my VSX at the moment. I suspect the brake valve is worn and is leaking system pressure. Not sure about this though.
Spheres are the first thing to check.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I wonder if its something really simple like your front height corrector is sticking? Ideally take it off, clean linkages and re-assemble but if you can get at it from underneath then put grease on the linkages particularily where the rod goes into the thing.
BE CAREFUL AND MAKE SURE THE CAR IS PROPERLY SUPPORTED BEFORE DOING ANYTHING WITH THE CORRECTOR - IF THE CAR DROPS IT CAN KILL! (now who's going to tell me I shouldn't be shouting!)
What I think is happening is that the car is riding a bit below itc correct height and rather close to its bump stops. Sometimes these things free in the wet or if you raise the car and then drop it before driving it (ie stretching the linkages).
If not - are the front struts free (does it creak and groan and jerk as it rises and falls?) (Oops - 2 'ands') amd finally are the spheres ok (can you compress the front suspension - engine on to release anti-sink)
jeremy
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

nat,
Some of the things you describe sound normal.
On max height, your car should be stiff, like a rock.
It should not move down when you lean on the corners.
On low height, it should feel the same, only lower.
On anything else but normal ride height, driving the car should feel like your teeth are being shaken out.
On normal ride height, with the engine running, when you lean on a corner it should sink gently. If you keep leaning it should rise against you. When you stop leaning it should rise by itself, then sink down to normal height again.
Do all those things happen OK?
Any strange noises while it does this?
Does the red STOP light go out quickly?
Is the hydraulic fluid level OK?
You said it was fine until you changed the hydraulic fluid.
There might be air in the system. That can make strange things happen.
PJ
natace1972

Post by natace1972 »

Now im well foxed as my xantia got only two ride heights or two I can set. Everything works how it did when I got the car 2 years ago i.e. no noises from suspenstion.light goes out just about straight away. level seems ok only noises I get is a clicking sound from engine about every second.
If I drive the car at the normal ride height I think this is when I get probs but when I drive on a main A road or motorway seems to be not to bad.
Its just where I live now in a village the roads are not that good so I feel every little bump in the road
max height is like a rock m8 don’t move on corners, and the low height what is only other setting I have all works like you say a normal ride height do.
just to make sure im in the right place to set ride height is,center console behind handbrake knob there with two settings mine is set to the front setting
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Set the lever to front position, low. Slide it rearwards to the centre of its travel, normal. One stage further back, high. All the way back, highest.
The fact that you get a clicking from the engine every second suggests that your accumulator sphere needs replacement.
natace1972

Post by natace1972 »

I take my hat off to you people. ive had the xantia for 2 years now and only just found out that yes it do has 4 ride heights.
So the ride height im on is the normal and when i get the probs is on normal and bouncing on high,not the highest
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

The only setting you should be using for driving is the "normal" height setting. All Xantias are ridiculously bouncy on the next setting up - its only for using at very low speeds for short distances.