darn heater matrix...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mattpc

darn heater matrix...

Post by mattpc »

My heater Matrix has a slow leak. Have to put 0.5-1 litre of coolant mix in every 2-3 weeks. Is there anything I can do to patch up the leak rather than get a garage to change it at vast expense?![xx(]
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

normally when they start to leak the core has started to rot, and i'm afraid its a swine of a job to replace, you can put some bars leaks in the system but this will probably just buy you some time.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Will probably block the heater too and freeze your nuts off.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

heater is working great at the moment (apart from the crap smells associated with heater matrix leak) so don't really want to do that. I've looked at bars website and they are claiming it shouldn't block the heater. Does anyone know if this is the case or not?
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I always fit a new matrix to my own cars but a friend asked for help and I used Radweld with complete success on a Renault Espace heater matrix...it's lasted years now!
You've got nothing to lose so give it a try.
David
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Right, I think I'm going to try it. I don't know how much it would cost to fit a new heater matrix? At least £34 for the part and then quite a bit of labour?
Certainly can't do the job myself...
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

bars leaks will not block the system, i know a guy who swears buy putting it in every system as a precaution, best bet is to replace it tho, i once had one on a van burst and sprayed the interior with boiling hot water.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I've just ordered forte stop leak.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I can vouch for the efficacy of Forte Stop Leak - sealed up the leak in my Xantia's heater matrix (wet carpet stage) after a couple of hundred miles - and no more leaks for the last 15k miles. If it were not for the head gasket throwing its toys out of the engine bay, I would continue to run it to find out just how long the Forte stuff will last...
What car are you talking about? Xantia is 9 - 10 hours for the matrix, ZX maybe half that.
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

It's the Xantia TD SX non aircon
beezer

Post by beezer »

The Bars Leaks heavy duty stuff blocked the system on my old Bedford Midi. It was the year Glasgow had burst pipes everywhere. I used to have to stop and go for a walk to warm up.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Richard,
You've got quick at the ZX heater matrix then, I still allow a day to get the dash out and back!!
Really sorry to read here about the demise and forced sale of your Xantia. I never did send you that final clutch draft but as it has been published in the CCC magazine now I'll send you (and Jon here) one and it can go out to a wider audience with appropriate CCC/DJW copyright statement. I know you'll not be doing the clutch in that car but perhaps the next.....
Thought of your clutch when we overnighted at Abington Day's Inn on our way north this summer....said to the good lady we could nip in and get you started on it!! We managed Glasgow both ways without hassle...travelled through early am before breakfast time.
David
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

David,
No experience, just what I had heard about the ZX matrix. I'll revise my estimates for next time. I was just getting round to thinking it was clutch time when it decided to start dumping oil everywhere - bit annoyed as it was otherwise good, up until that time the engine had been totally oil tight. Grrr. If it was only the head gasket, or clutch, or heater matrix, I probably would have done it. No time / garage space to start doing all 3 though, and it has done 40k over 2 years for £1500 so can't really complain. Hopefully we will have a fleet of ZX TDs shortly :-))
My wife doesn't think it's a good excuse for buying a Xantia HDi 110 - although I do!! :-)
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

If you decide to do the heater matrix yourself it will take about a day and a lot of cursing [:(!]. Done mine recently so know too much about it. Be careful not to crack the plastic plate around the wipers when removing it and be sure to reseal it properly. You will need a sharp knife or something similiar to cut the bonding between it and the window. Check the dash bulbs when you have it all apart, saves doing them again and keep an eye on any of the wire routings.
Lastly, be sure to do the coolant refill correctly as documented on other posts on the forum. After this no more leaks and if like mine, no more steam [:)].
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Well I went for it! After shaking the bottle of Forte Stop Leak very hard for about 1 minute I tipped the contents into the xantia cooling system and made sure the system was topped up with coolant as well. Set the heating to full power heat. Locked the car and left it idleing on the drive for 1 hour. Then took it for a drive. Already the damp passenger side feels less damp, temps of the coolant are normal and the heater hasn't yet packed in. I wonder how long it will be before I know for sure if the leaks sealed and the heater isn't bunged up?