Magic Diesel - The end of petrol era

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Magic Diesel - The end of petrol era

Post by Thunderbird »

The most recent BMW 2.0 Diesel engine boosts 163 bhp, but this engine will soon be obsolete and replace by an entirely new Twin-turbo version. The first model to incorporate this Twinturbo technology was the 3.0 liter of the series 5, that now has 272 bhp, 550 Nm!
Other brands, like Fiat and Opel, will soon have diesel engines using this techmology.
For instance, Opel anounced the new 1.9 liter twin-turbo with 212 bhp.
The amazing thing is that these 'jet-engines' get even more economic than the older equivalente versions with much less horse-power.
Very soon, there will be no interest in a petrol V6, V8, V10 or V12 engine, since there will be a lighter, more compact, and more performant engine diesel (with a consumption 3 times inferior).
Let's hope PSA follows the leaders and introduces engines with this technology in their models, in the next couple of years.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah, but you can't beat the sound of the old V8 3.5ltr burbling away up front. Diesel's good for all the other stuff but it wont ever completly replace the petrol engine. It's just diesels catching up with their big bothers in petrol. As for BMW have I missed something or are all the new models the ugliest cars ever to hit the modern road? Just seen a new one series.... what the hell is that about, ugly or what.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ve been Diesel for 5 yrs now,but your right StuartMcB,you CANT beat the sound of a 3.5 V8(Rover).Even the latest V6/8/10 TD`S.I would still love to have a Rover SDI V8.......if only.
New BMW`s do seem to be lost in the styling dept,they have all come in for a bit of stick from the press.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Well, if the new diesels are very quiet, their manufacturers could copy what's done in some digital cameras, where a sound chip is put in with mirror and shutter noises on it, so ....... vrooom vrooom burble clunk.....
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Well I don't know - I think the exhaust note from a Volvo V12 25 litre diesel scares the sh*t out of any Rover V8's hiding in the vicinity . . .
//NiSk
beezer

Post by beezer »

I seem to remember it was the petrol vehicles that were the 'wee brothers' in my truck driving days!
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Any true petrol head would never buy a diesel, howerver powerful they still sound like taxis:)
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

On the subject of V8's etc. A few months ago I hired a Triumph stag and drove to Bath in it. Talk about a head turner. And if people weren't looking I just bliped the throttle. What a lovely sound. If anyone lives near Southampton (Cadnam) it's well worth a go. They did have other classics as well.
On the subject of BMW's there current designer is a Yank need I say anymore.
And on the Diesel front I am a petrol head through and through. I just wanted a big car with plenty of go without the cost also you can't beat a diesel for torque.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

you can beat the sound of a 3.5 Rover.
Corvette, '62-75.
Ferrari dino.
SM.
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

Well I don't know - I think the exhaust note from a Volvo V12 25 litre diesel scares the sh*t out of any Rover V8's hiding in the vicinity . . .
//NiSk
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Bloody hell, 25 litre diesel... That would scare me.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Does anyone have a howto for a Xantia 25 litre diesel conversion?
beezer

Post by beezer »

Yes, you get your Volvo artic with a trailer attached and stick the Xantia on the back.
broomie
My Cars:

Post by broomie »

Energy expert recommends LPG for fleets in face of rising diesel prices - 3rd November 2004
Diesel prices could soon rocket in price to 45p per gallon more than petrol because growing demand in the US will restrict supplies across Europe, an energy expert has warned. read more...
http://www.greenfuel.org.uk/news/
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Petrol is made from the lighter fractions of crude oil, these are very limited in quantity, and when you've got all of the light fractions out, you're left with fractions that are either too light (lpg) or too heavy (diesel, heavy fuel oil, bitumin etc). The fractions that are not suitable to be used in petrol are catalytically reformed (i.e. chemically changed) to be the correct fractions for petrol, in fact diesel was considered to be a waste product as far as petroleum refinining is concerned. There is only one thing that will cause a shortage (and price rise) of diesel, and that is a shortage of crude oil or refinining capacity, both of these things would affect the prices of lpg and petrol in exactly the same way.
That website is a green fuel website, they promote LPG and seem to be trying to do it via scaremongering. Petrol and diesel are more expensive than LPG purely because of tax reasons. If you take away LPG's tax advantages diesel works out far cheaper.
I'm not going to argue the advantages / disadvantages of various fuels, but I will say I wouldn't feel happy about carrying a vessel that contains flamable pressurised gas. Diesel is relatively inert in terms of crash safety when you compare it to both petrol and lpg.
beezer

Post by beezer »

And you can always empty your chip pan into the tank when you are REALLY stuck!