BX drive shaft gaiters

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AWG
My Cars:

BX drive shaft gaiters

Post by AWG »

How hard/long is this job?
Just to give an indication of the language i'm speaking - i'm happy fo do diskpads, spheres, wheels and change the hydraulic fluid and oil but the last time I did anything much more than this was taking the head off my Morris Minor and various odds and ends on my Renault 16 about 25 years ago.[:I]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Hi Anthony
Not too bad, if you mean the outer ones, and if your BX is not one with the one-piece shaft and CV spider.
You need to remove the hub nut, disconnect the drop-link, and take the stub axle off the bottom of the strut.
Use proper Ligarex strapping, not tie-wraps, even if these are what is supplied. It is worth dismantling and cleaning out the joint, if you have time, but do not wash the parts in solvent.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The other alternative is a split kit, if you don't have the time/inclination/tools to dismantle-follow the instructions to the letter and it should'nt take more than 20 minutes.
They are very good, I've had one on for 3 yrs now with no problems.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

bxbodger,
"if you don't have the time/inclination/tools" sounds like me. I guess you mean a gaiter that is "folded" round the joint and then sealed in some way. Can't find anything like that on GSF and a quick google hasn't shown anything. Any hints - your supplier?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Thats the one- any half-decent spares shop will sell them- ask for a sticky-boot kit and they will know what you mean.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Thanks - gone shopping