Citroen drivetrain Talbot Express??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Munro
My Cars:

Citroen drivetrain Talbot Express??

Post by Munro »

Can you help me please?
My father drives a 1987 Pilote A Class motorhome. This is based on a Talbot Express chassis using Citroen running gear. 2.5 litre non-turbo diesel Citroen engine with 5 speed manual transaxle.
He has gearbox problems. I'm trying to help him source a used or recon gearbox.
I gather there is a lot of commonality between Citroen and Peugeot and who knows what other Euro brand. Can anyone tell me what type of gearbox this is, and what other vehicles use the same gearbox?
Recommendations for where to look for such a box?
Appreciate this may be a little off-topic for most of the members here - looks like most of you are newer car users (I'm an old car enthusiast myself). Anyway, my Dad's in a fix and any help or contact advice you can give would really be welcome.
TIA.
beezer

Post by beezer »

It appears the box is the same as the CX.
Jon

Post by Jon »

You will find this box in Talbot Express 2.5D and Cit C25 2.5D and also in the Fiat Ducato >94 if equipped with 2.5D engine. It is a CX 2.5D engine, I think Beezer is right about the box being CX too but its so old I can't look it up to check anymore.
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Munro,
The running gear is CX. I put a Talbot Express engine in a CX once, and although the engine is *almost* identical, the gearbox casting (and mounting system) is very different. Although some of the internals are probably the same, the ratios are also different.
Basically it won't fit i'm afraid...
However, when I did the job, scrap Talbot Express' were rather easier to find than diesel CXs...
Jonathan.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Me thinks the Peugeot J5 series used the same drivetrain.
Both van's & open chassis small truck variants.
beezer

Post by beezer »

It was virtually the same van - Early Ducato and C25 likewise except the Talbot was made in the UK and the rest in Italy.