Reasons for Head Gasket Failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Jon, my gauge is in the dash, where the analogue clock was. I took the clock-works out, and cut a hole in the dash, so it's surrounded by 1,2,3,4,...etc, which actually doesn't look that weird- at least I can see it there!!
I put a digital clock from a scrapper in the blanked off hole in the dash tray-cheaper than a Bugatti drivers watch!!.
I took the red warning light of death sensor out from the thermostat housing and put one of the sensors from the kit in there- the thread was a bit coarser, so I put a bit of PTFE tape on to make sure.
It's been in a year now, and is well worth having- I don't know how accurate it is with regard to the exact temp, but I can at least now spot any abnormal changes, and know what normal behaviour should be under particular caonditions, i.e. queueing, towing, motorway, etc.
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

I think Jon and P2501 have put their finger on the cheapest regular prevention....coolant quality/condition.
I'm absolutely fanatical about changing the coolant every two years without fail on the vehicles I look after. Drain, flush with hose, drain again, refill with DI water and 50% quality glycol (Citroen own is good)...then bleed properly.
Also I never take any notice of these so called filled for life coolants...rather see it out at two years and know its done.
Finally learn the normal behaviour of your temperature gauge (where fitted) and keep looking at it!
David