Electric gremlins (update)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jshodgson
My Cars:

Electric gremlins (update)

Post by Jshodgson »

I noticed that my petrol gauge was dark at night and it looks as if the light has failed, I then noticed my dash light to show that my headlamps are on has failed and now today my clock display has gone off.
Does anyone have any ideas as to what may be causing this? It has all happened in the last 3 weeks.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

For once, all the bulbs had the same life expectancy! (could also be due to an over enthusiastic voltage regulator in the alternator - check that you havn't got more than max 14V across the battery terminal with the engine running).
//NiSk
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

just coincidence i suspect, happened to me on my BX spent ages checking the regulator, battery and heavens knows what else changed the bulbs andd they were fine for about 3 years and then loads failed within a few weeks.......mind you just because you are paranoid it doesn't mean that they aren't out to get you [:D] [:D] [:D] [:D]
Pete
________
Oregon medical marijuana dispensaries
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:56, edited 1 time in total.
Jshodgson
My Cars:

Post by Jshodgson »

An update.....
my headlamp light came back on! then went off. Then the side lights lamp came back on today.
So I have now eliminated the possibility of the bulbs blowing any new ideas????
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Hi,
If this helps?
My '95 Xant instrument panel bulbs did the same thing a few weeks ago. All started failing within a few weeks of each other.
Sometimes they would work intermittently before dying for good.
I took the plunge and changed the lot… all the blown ones were original Cit bulbs. 9 years for a bulb seems good enough. Just glad I don’t have the later Xant instrument panel with integral bulbs which can’t be changed! – Or can they????
Steve
mseymour
My Cars:

Post by mseymour »

Most likely bad connections. Mine's the same. The fuel gauge, temp gauge and half the speedo don't light up most of the time, but if I give the dash a good thump they come on.
One day I'll get around to taking it apart, but having to remove the steering wheel and mess about with airbags looks like too much trouble for a minor inconvenience. I'll fix it if it becomes a problem.