BX hydraulic problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

AWG
My Cars:

BX hydraulic problem

Post by AWG »

BX with power steering and new accumulator sphere. Suspension pumps up fine and lights go out but after about 300 yards the STOP and hydraulic lights come on. Slight flicker and intensity varies. HOWEVER if I turn to full lock (left only) the lights go out and fine for another 300 yards. Does not do it on right lock. Suspension to high and low works fine. Pump not overworking (about 90 secs). There really seems to be no problem with the suspension and brakes except the for the warning lights . This has got me foxed.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Could it simply be a low LHM fluid level ?
Most sure way checking it's topped up correctly :
set suspension to LOWEST - then check the reservoir level is approx 2" down at most (your finger is a perfect gauge [;)])
The only consequence overfilling is a greasy mess from spilling excess fluid.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Yup! I let myself get seduced by the left/right lock intrigue and foolishly placed my confidence in the fluid level indicator. At least the bottom of the resevoir looks clean! I'll have to wait to see if it's a leakage problem - no sign of it anywhere though.
Thanks Anders for a straghtforward look at the problem.
G4EIY
My Cars:

Post by G4EIY »

Hi Anthony,
As you changed the accumulator sphere, this holds a fair bit of LHM.
If you have no leaks and did not top up the after replacing the sphere, this may be the reason.
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

Now I remember what was running up my arm.
beezer

Post by beezer »

The answer is in your heading though it is how you stress the words: BX - Hydraulic - PROBLEM!
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

I've had 4 Citroens and dealt with 2 others and this is only the second time I've had ANY problem with the hydraulics - far less suspension trouble than the more conventional cars I've had. Main problem with all cars has been engine and rust - both in the case of the Renault 16 (back wheels dropped off after an engine rebuild).
beezer

Post by beezer »

Ah but this is a forum for enthusiasts.....How many Citroens have limped home with the floor nearly on the ground? You are supposed to put the engine in the front not the boot - that is why your back wheels dropped off. I am not slagging Citroens - all cars are basically shoite. I have had those horrible hydralastic Leyland things and they have sunk to the ground too. If you have hydraulic suspension you have added to the things that can go wrong. That's all.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Beezer, the Renault 16 did have its engine in the front! As for the BX=problems sally, keep perpetuating the myth, please. I enjoy owning a capacious estate that returns 32 mpg at a sustained and comfortable 100 MPH cruise that cost me NOTHING!
AWG
My Cars:

Post by AWG »

beezer,
Lost wheels were not engine related just coincident; the inner chassis member rotted but this was not visible by inspection as it is internal - nice car though you had to be careful not to give it a hard stare as that was enough to dent it.
beezer

Post by beezer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by tomsheppard</i>

Beezer, the Renault 16 did have its engine in the front! As for the BX=problems sally, keep perpetuating the myth, please. I enjoy owning a capacious estate that returns 32 mpg at a sustained and comfortable 100 MPH cruise that cost me NOTHING!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes the 16 is supposed have the engine in the front. Was I too subtle?