ZX & Nokia Car Kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HarryLime
My Cars:

ZX & Nokia Car Kit

Post by HarryLime »

I had a P reg ZX TD Advantage Estate, I've moved to an M reg ZX TD Aura Estate. I had a Nokia CARK91 car kit installed in the original car, unfortunately I wasn't there when it was de-installed, so I'm not sure where/how to install it into my new car. I prefer to put the speaker, charging cradle etc. in the same place as the original install (on the passenger side of the central console). It's the more hidden bits, control box / mic / antenna wiring that I would want some assistance with.
I did find that the power loom (PCH-4J wires) for the kit had been wired into three of the yellow wires coming out of the radio. The un-installer also did not remove the MKU-1 mounting bracket for the control box, well, either it was not removed or it wasn't used in the installation, and I am somewhat averse to removing the entire dash assembly just to get at it if its there (unless someone suggests I need it). It may have simply been put behind the radio, but I don't know whether there is space, and I'd rather not start mucking about with it until I get some feedback.
The questions I would ask anyone who has done this would be:
1. Where would you put the control box?
2. Do I need the mounting bracket for the control box?
3. What's the best way to wire it in (should I try to emulate the previous installation and wire it into the radio power leads?)
4. When I switched cars I also switched across the more modern RDS version of the Citroen fairly basic radio cassette. Does anyone know if this has a "mute" wire to accept this optional input from the car kit.
5. I have the glass mounted antenna from the original install, it was attached to the rear driver side window. How would you run the antenna wire from the central console past the dash and into the body to get back there? (Or could someone tell me if the possibly easier to install license holder style antenna would be effective in a Citroen -- I believe they are less appropriate for certain makes depending on the type of windscreen glass) AND How should I stick the Antenna onto the glass, both the inside and outside bits.
Sorry this is such a long post. Better to say too much than to have to rehash details later. Thanks for any advice.
PS. For those who haven't done this but are curious, these two links give more details about the schematic and wiring for the car kit in question:
http://www.siocommunications.co.uk/CARK ... matic.html
http://www.all4cell.com/repairs/carkit91help.html
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

1. i would put the control box up behind the glovebox,there will be plenty of room.
2. you dont need the mounting bracket,just cable tie the box to secure it somewhere.
3. yes,i would wire it into the power leads.
4.to find if the radio has a mute feature connect a test lamp to earth & touch it to the terminals on the radio while it is switched on,if the radio mutes when you touch a certain pin then you have found the mute terminal.
5. get a new t-bar or taxdisc holder antenna (you can get them for less than a tenner),im pretty sure that no ZX's ever came with an Athermal windscreen so you will be ok with these type of antennas.remove the 'A' pillar trim & run the mic & antenna leads down behind the dash that way,fit the mic at the interior light & tuck the wire in along the head cloth.
HarryLime
My Cars:

Post by HarryLime »

Thanks Wheeler. Finally another use for the hundreds of cable ties I seem to have acquired (when I only needed a few).
rossnunn
My Cars:

Post by rossnunn »

The glovebox can be a right pain to put back, I ran a changer cable accross the back of it & after 3 refit's I still cannot get the box to close as smoothly as it did before I took it out.
I'd suggest try not to move ANYTHING! behind it, wires, insulation, carpet etc.