xm 2.1td glowplug change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stephen burch
My Cars:

xm 2.1td glowplug change

Post by stephen burch »

Does anyone have any good ideas on how to change glowplugs 1 and 2 on the 2.1 td engine as the fuel pump is in the way. The car is a 1994 xm. Thanks.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

what sort of pump? Is it the bosch pump or the lucas pump?
With the Bosch pump, the No.4 plug (start counting from the flywheel/gearbox end!) can be done without too much disassembly of the engine. I've never managed No.3 but im told with a lot of patience it can be removed. The thread is only about 15mm long then the plug can be wiggled out, and the new one fitted.
I read a couple of days ago that the torque you put the plugs in is VERY VERY important, too much and the plugs will fail prematurely, too little and you'll have leaky compression!
Its all about determination really!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I changed the glowplugs on my '93 TD12 last month (just before i crashed it!).
If you have EGR, undo the funny metal clip and the stainless pipe retainer mounted on the upper inlet manifold, disconnect the boost air hose from center of manifold, remove the upper manifold (4 bolts, the rear bolts have extensions!) - watch out for the rubber sleeves on the back end - some may stay in place, others follow with the manifold!
You now have access to the plugs with normal tools; some are easier with sockets, others with o/e or ring spanners.
While you have access, change the leak off piping on the fuel injectors - its generally rotten and breaks as soon as you touch it.
Also check the condition of the cooling hose going from an engine block union on your left to the cold start assembly directly under the boost air connection on your right. This little bugger split on me at motorway speed and wrecked the cylinder head gasket before the red warning light and buzzer alerted me. It gets a lot of oil dripping on it and softens up. Typical Citroën - the two ends have different dimensions (i.e. order one while you can!)
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Compared with the 1.9 or 1.7, the 2.1 requires a bit more gear removed before you reach the plugs. Have a replacement clip for the EGR pipe before you start. I had difficulty finding one, so I cut off the crimp, and reused the clamp, surrounding it with a jubilee clip of suitable size. The only plug that's anywhere difficult is the one behind the epic pump, but with a variety of tools, it can be changed. In view of the amount of removal work, it's worth changing all four plugs.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The XM never had either the 1.7 nor the 1.9 diesel and there's a lot more room than in a Xantia or BX.
//NiSk
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by JohnD</i>

Compared with the 1.9 or 1.7, the 2.1 requires a bit more gear removed before you reach the plugs.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Of course the XM never had a 1.7 or 1.9 engines - I was only comparing XUD's in general. Also, a '94 2.1 wouldn't have an EPIC.