AX - future classic?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

I have seemed to have opened pandora's box with this one!!. Many thanks for your replies, I have decided to retain the car and tidy it up over the winter, replacing the front wings and tyres for the MOT. Hopefully this will keep me out of the pub!!
Kevin
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

Keep the AX!! it has bags more character than loads of the more modern cars. Anyone that has found themselves driving an AX will agree its brilliant.. if it wasn't? why would it have been produced for so long & then even longer under the disguise of the saxo??
Anyone who claims to know anything about cars & discounts the AX as a future classic is frankly.. dumb & has clearly never driven one.
All the small Citroens are great!!
Visa, AX, Saxo & C2 are all oustanding cars that have brilliant features that make them stand out,.. (unlike most Fords).. and any one of them easily qualiifes as a classic.
And if I'm honest I'm sick of people slating it & only thinking the bigger older Cits are great. get your head out of your bums & try driving one.
Thank you & goodnight..[:p]
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Marty,
Ahh my first car was a Herald too...12/50....in my case we're going back to when you were still a toddler.
It was green and cream but to make it go faster I removed the front bumper/valence, fitted spots to the exposed bumper supports, painted it yellow with a matt black roof and fitted a devilish set of 180 width mud pattern rally tyres on 5.5" rims.
Not so long after I was about to impress the future bro in law with a impressive takeoff. Dumped the clutch at some revs, those large tyres dug in and the diff exploded!
Sold it for scrap. When I see one now I say to the kids " do you know that was Dad's first car". Do they care...do they .......
David
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

My kids think the BX is old!
My first major car strip'n rebuild was a ratty Herald convertible: it was done in lunchtimes at school under the guise of "education" and "metalwork club"- it was, in fact, the physics teacher's car.................we were a lot cheaper than a pro bodyshop.....
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

I learnt to drive in a 1928 Austin Seven - cost me a tenner and I sold it for £15 when they invented MOTs - aka the Ten Year Test, then.
The first time I drove something without a gear gate, with synchromesh and auto ignition advance, and where the front and rear brakes were linked, was a revelation!
Oh yes - my favourite small Cit, apart from the A-Series, is the 652 Visa - preferably Club with later front, but early dash with coffee-jar switches. Lovely little car, but not many left.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Just a wee question uhn113x: Have you been attending the rallies in Stirling over the past few years?
kevin
My Cars:

Post by kevin »

Cheesesliceking,
I totaly agree the small cit's are fun to drive, and at under £35 for a years service damm cheap as well[:D]
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

If you want a classic AX look at this...
http://tinyurl.com/537fs
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Nice. LAD do quite a lot of psa tuning so it should still be reliable and not too overstressed. Shame its not a 3 door though as they look at a lot better. I have an excuse with my Visa in that they didnt make a 3 door unless you include the Axel variant but that was only sold in romania etc (saw tons in prague earlier this year!)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

good lord
This is only down the road from me...
Hmmm, could a petrol tempt me away from a DERV?
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

If you are interested in buying it, it's on Autotrader for £795.. (he has reduced it from £995)
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by madasafish</i>

If you are interested in buying it, it's on Autotrader for £795.. (he has reduced it from £995)
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not sure i could justify £800 for a H plate petrol AX - OK I know its been looked after and modified, but the mods mean nothing to me value wise (deep intake of breath from the Modding Crowd and Max Power Boys!) - For me the attraction is the 5 door body and low milage (as well as location)
Well lets see what it goes for on eBay - may make him an offer of £600 and a pram![:)]
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Must admit, I'm often attracted to good bodies with low mileage. Gets me into big trouble with WBM though.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... 32828&rd=1
EWWWWWWW!
Not a nice way for an AX to finish its days - and NOT a classic in any way shape or form.
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

good god lol! and someones bid on it as well! The bumpers look like they are off a car twice the size. I appriciate some car owners want theirs to stand out a bit from others but for most of the old gti's etc they look better in standard form ie 205 gti's etc.