GS wipers, speed or lack thereof

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: GS wipers, speed or lack thereof

Post by Stickyfinger »

and please spray the area with some rust preventive treatment/wax such as dinatrol...............sorry my OCD kicked in :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Post by macplaxton »

It is indeed looking quite crap and neglected at the moment. It was never pristine, but was usually quite presentable. This car has a load of Dinitrol about it, it's just in the embarrassing state of needing a load more.

I shall go off and flog myself with a big stick for not doing it sooner. :oops: :oops: :oops:

I'll have a bash at bonding, but if I require another motor Malc, I'll only be after one.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Sorry :) it's just it looks so easy to get to. I am convinced it helps a lot in preventing micro condensation in large dead air area like that, which shows up as corrosion just like that does. Helps the alloy as well as it soaks into the oxide layer preventing oxygen transfer.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

Update time! Bought some metal epoxy to stick the magnet back where it belongs. http://www.unibond.co.uk/en/diy-adhesiv ... metal.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cleaned the back of the magnet and keyed it up. Ditto the casing which was a bit surface rusty. Whilst the old adhesive was white, I couldn't see any around the other magnet, perhaps someone got there before me with a repair? Either way, I elected to plonk the magnet back where I found it, which was slightly off centre.

IMG_20150514_220555_327 by macplaxton, on Flickr

IMG_20150514_220625_965 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Still a bit lame, but they work without a racket now. I suspect the magnets could do with re-magnetizing. Being a closed-ended bucket I've no idea how you get a keeper ring in there.

Anyway, here's the vid. (c. 20 sec is speed 1, c. 30 sec is speed 2)

If you have a GS or GSA with quicker wipers, video it and show me what I'm missing!

Cheers.
Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Post by Stonehopper »

Bit of a rubbish video - not familiar or practiced in same.

Wiper speeds not dissimilar to yours, but perhaps a little less 'strained':

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5xvcyibeb1jrm ... 1.MOV?dl=0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Derek
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

That video is perfectly fine, we're not chasing BAFTAs!

I see yours has a a bit more oomph and it's on a dry screen too. I had a bit of drizzle to aid things along. I'll put up with it the now as it has always been like that for me, but I'll look into it again later.

Many thanks.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

are the wheel box's (spindle housing's ) nice and free/smooth in there movement, maybe they are binding/tighter than they should be,
although i see in one of your picy's you have the cast alloy spindle housing's, they can still bind/cause drag even though they have a bronze bush through them,

otherwise maybe you dont have the same clearance between the armature and the re/glued magnet as the other, as i believe the clearance has to be equal
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Rich,

I think the motor will have overheated because of the spindles seizing - this is a very common fault on the 2CV/Dyane/Ami and eventually will either cook the armature windings or damage the plastic insulators on the three contacts.

Hope you'll sort it by reattaching the stator magnet; might be worth a look at the other one to see if it ought to be re-glued.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

Malc/Mike.
citronut wrote:are the wheel box's (spindle housing's ) nice and free/smooth in there movement
uhn113x wrote:I think the motor will have overheated because of the spindles seizing
Free as a bird. When disconnected from the motor the whole linkage is dead easy to move manually. No sign of seizing.
citronut wrote:otherwise maybe you dont have the same clearance between the armature and the re/glued magnet as the other, as i believe the clearance has to be equal
uhn113x wrote:might be worth a look at the other one to see if it ought to be re-glued.
Well they work well enough (was raining today driving back from work), just being fussy really. My suspicions from the visible white epoxy on the loose weight was that it may have been messed with before. The other one doesn't have any visible glue peeking out and seems firmly attached. I maybe should of set the loose magnet dead opposite the non-loose one, but I elected on the day to just go by the lining up with white goo marks on the body and magnet and scribing a line and leaving it as I found it.
macplaxton wrote:Image
IMG_20150510_020347_771 by macplaxton, on Flickr
IMG_20150510_020354_911 by macplaxton, on Flickr
Having said that, the loose magnet does have some scuffing from the armature on the inside face, so there is a bit more clearance between the magnet and armature at that point in the cycle. The main thing is I can see where I'm going! :mrgreen:
macplaxton

Post by macplaxton »

uhn113x wrote:Hope you'll sort it by reattaching the stator magnet
Mike, I hope you don't mind me asking, but did you read the second page of this thread? :wink:
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Don't mind at all; 'twas yesterday though so I've probably forgotten by now! Read it again for good measure, though.

I wish I could remember what I did when I refurbed a few similar Ami wiper motors though, in respect of how the magnets were attached to the casing.

Good to hear the spindles are free as that's the bête noire in all these systems.
Mike in West Yorks
1982 GSA Pallas
1982 Dyane
1997 ZX Dimension
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

good the spindles are free, the metal bodied type do seem to be better than the nylon type, and i think easier to sort if need be
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years