M.O.T. fail on -

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Re: M.O.T. fail on -

Post by Stonehopper »

Well, it's turned over - and I'm gobsmacked and relieved.

"Stupid boy!" :oops:
Derek
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I have several sayings, one of which goes "There are no such things as stupid questions, but dumb mistakes do exist". If you don't know the answer, ask the question.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Post by macplaxton »

Stonehopper wrote:I'm gobsmacked and relieved.
My flabber has been gasted. =D>
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

Back for the test - passed straight through. Happy face. I didn't mention it before, but it also failed on CO emissions registering 4.664 (max limit 4.500) This was found to be a loose connection to the coil. A squeeze of the female tab saw the new reading at 3.262.

Little things etc.

Here's a thing: Just had notice that a white pilot bulb within the same shell as a yellow headlamp bulb is a no-no according to DVSA. Never heard that one before, and it doesn't affect separated side lights as on G's, but my MOT man checked out the legality while I was there, and he came back with a confirmation that this is so - BUT, he also stated that the wording was ambiguous, and could be misread. It seems the pilot bulb in such an instance needs to be the same colour as the headlight bulb.
Derek
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

Stonehopper wrote:Back for the test - passed straight through. Happy face. I didn't mention it before, but it also failed on CO emissions registering 4.664 (max limit 4.500) This was found to be a loose connection to the coil. A squeeze of the female tab saw the new reading at 3.262.
glad she got a pass,

seems strange the loose coil connection should bring the Co up, what were the HC's at,

usually ignition problems will affect the HC more so than the Co, although if the Co come down with the revs held up a bit, this does normally suggest an ignition fault

Stonehopper wrote: BUT, he also stated that the wording was ambiguous,
doesnt that apply to the hole MOT rule book :roll: :shock: #-o :-D :wink:
Stonehopper wrote: the pilot bulb in such an instance needs to be the same colour as the headlight bulb.
thats just racist in'it
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

Yes, previously I did experience a cough and splutter just once on the way to the station, but it seemed to run OK other than that. Matey stated that it seemed to be misfiring a bit on that occasion. It ran sweet on the way home though.

This time he reckoned it had no such misfire, and I had checked the dwell and timing which were within the desired ranges after I got back first time expecting something to have changed from a year ago - but nothing. Without a gas analyser at home I was restricted to tuning by ear - but had left the carb strictly alone between the two tests, anticipating needing to tweak the pilot jet screw a tad if need be. But this was not needed at all as he said it sailed through emissions without even a decent warm up, and the only thing I had done was squeeze the female terminal on tighter.

I've binned the first set of readings now, but can remember the CO was exactly 4.664, and the HC from memory was in the 300's (limit 1200 of course).
This time the CO was 3.262 and HC 237. A misfire would lead to unburnt fuel, and I guess tipping the readings.

Edit to add: I do remember the tester saying he ran the engine at fast idle to see if it improved on the first test, but it didn't.

Got a result on the second test - which was well over the 10 days free period - £25. Normal price £39.95 which is what I had expected to pay. Five years ago in Hertfordshire I was paying £54 for an MOT!
Derek
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i would still bring the Co down a tad more if you get a chance to stick it back on a gas analyser, as citroen state 1.5 to 2.5,

the MOT station might only charge about a fiver to bung it back on, if you do get it nice and hot first though, as that is how it is mean to be set up, at normal running temperature
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Post by macplaxton »

Good to hear the car has now passed.

With regards to the Testers' manual wording...
[Information]...Two front position lamps must be fitted, one on each side and show a steady white light to the front (or yellow if incorporated in a yellow headlamp)

[Method of Inspection]...3. Check that the lamps: (e.) show light of the correct colour. Note: Some front position lamps have a blue tinge to the light. This is acceptable provided the light is predominantly white.

[Reason for Rejection]... 3. An obligatory lamp: (e.) shows a light other than red to the rear and white to the front (or yellow if a front position lamp is incorporated in a yellow headlamp)
I'm not sure how that could be misread :?

Separate position lamp must be white. Separate headlamps can be white or yellow.
If position lamp is part of headlamp, can be white position lamp/white headlamp or yellow position lamp/yellow headlamp, but not mixed.

(If you have a US-spec car with amber front position lamps, add a pair of white front position lamps and then the existing amber ones become non-obligatory and not testable)

Or just disconnect the lot, or paint over the lot, or mask the lot and go for a "daytime" MOT :lol: