Recommisioning the GSA

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Recommisioning the GSA

Post by red_dwarfers »

I've just bought an '81 1299cc GSA Club that has been off the road since '94, it's being delivered this Friday. When it gets back I'd like to give it a service before sticking it in for an MoT test to see what it needs to get a certificate. On a bit of paper I've written down this, is there anything else I should think about considering its been sat 18 years?

Oil
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Coolant change (I here this is a very difficult job :wink: )
Cam belt
Fan belt
Windscreen washer fluid
Windscreen wipers
Tyres
Check LHM condition
Check bulbs

Also, parts. Is it worth me sticking one big order to Chevronics or are there other places that sell the bits and pieces above? I'm going to try my local factors but I have a funny feeling they won't be able to supply much!
Last edited by red_dwarfers on 22 Aug 2012, 17:32, edited 1 time in total.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Chris570
(Donor 2020)

Re: Recommisioning the GSA

Post by Chris570 »

you will certainly need new wipers, after 18 years the rubber will be shot. i'd start poking about looking for brakes as well, i had to replace all the discs on the xm and that was stood for just a shade under 2 years. i'd also be ready to hear about tyres...
2006 C5 HDi 170
1998 Xantia Activa S1
1971 D Special
2006 C3 1.6 HDi SX,
CitroJim wrote: I'm a pink fairy
A 1/3 of Team WFA 'Clarkson'
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote: Coolant change (I here this is a very difficult job :wink: )
Yep, it uses a special mixture of 79% Nitrogen, 20% Oxygen and 1% other gases in a gaseous mix called air :wink:

I'd be surprised if it had a fuel filter. Hardly any carb-fed cars did although an after-market one is a good idea to strain out any crap in the tank...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Thanks chaps. I've not owned a carbed car before, Chris Salter had to show me how to use a choke :lol: I have a generic in line filter in the garage so I'll certainly put that on if it doesn't have one already then. Tyres yes of course, I did have them in mind but but it got lost between my head and the paper.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Chris570 wrote:you will certainly need new wipers, after 18 years the rubber will be shot. i'd start poking about looking for brakes as well, i had to replace all the discs on the xm and that was stood for just a shade under 2 years. i'd also be ready to hear about tyres...
The brake discs cleaned up OK on the GSA engined 2CV my brother just put back on the road, they must be oh, at least 20 years old. Inboard discs don't seem to suffer as much as outboard ones.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Brake fluid might be a bit old too :)
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

I'll be betting that the LHM is fine - amazingly that GSA we brought out of a barn that's been there since 1985 rose up instantly (after changing the belts for precaution first) and all of the spheres are fine and LHM is fine - amazing! Rides lovely too...

An in-line fuel filter is a good move especially after being sat for a while...
Franklin
DOMW
My Cars:

Post by DOMW »

red_dwarfers wrote:I've just bought an '81 1299cc GSA Club that has been off the road since '94, it's being delivered this Friday. When it gets back I'd like to give it a service before sticking it in for an MoT test to see what it needs to get a certificate. On a bit of paper I've written down this, is there anything else I should think about considering its been sat 18 years?

Oil
Oil filter
Fuel filter
Air filter
Coolant change (I here this is a very difficult job :wink: )
Cam belt
Fan belt
Windscreen washer fluid
Windscreen wipers
Tyres
Check LHM condition
Check bulbs

Also, parts. Is it worth me sticking one big order to Chevronics or are there other places that sell the bits and pieces above? I'm going to try my local factors but I have a funny feeling they won't be able to supply much!
Chevronics will be able to supply you with everything you need, as with anything at a cost. Rob is very easy to deal with though and always happy to help. Its down to whether you want the bits fast to get on with it ASAP or if you can wait a few days here and there to shop around to keep the costs down. FRAM still list oil & filters for the GS range, so if you've got a friendly motor factors they should be able to find them.

Oil filters - There are some on ebay from £4/5. You will need to check that they have the valve in them. Its there to stop the oil from draining, as they sit upside down on the top of the engine. Chevronics supply a genuine Purflux filter which was around £11 last time I checked. I do know of a GS guy who bought a job lot of 40!, so has a fair few spare. Cant remember the make, but they do have the valve in. I can PM you his details, if you want.

Fuel filter - As others have mentioned, theres no fuel filter as such. However, I've had a couple where a normal in-line filter has been fitted just after the fuel tank, attached to the rear subframe by a couple of rubber o-rings. Not sure if it became a retrofit or just a coincidence. Its worth checking there and replacing it if there is. If not, just fit one at the carb end as its much easier to change if you have a problem. Keep a spare! :)

Air filter - Same as air, ebay or motor factors again. I'd imagine yours would have been a paper element as you should have the later black airbox. Doesn't really matter either way.

Coolant - Moving on......... :lol:

Cambelts - Its worth changing the little tensioners at the same time. Theres belts on ebay, but I'd question the age and quality of some. Chevronics do the kit, but can't remember how much. I've been able to source mine through my motor factors. Drop me a PM if you want me to get a price for you. I think the last one was about £35-40.

Fan belt / alternator belt - I've got the Gates number here for it here somewhere. Theres two types of differing length. I think yours would be the longer one. But will check with the oracle that is my brother.

Washers - Its more than likely you've got the white cylindrical washer pump that is frankly pants. :) They're fine when they're working, but every one I've had needed taking apart to get it working again. Sometimes just a tap does the job.

Wipers - They are only short, but its difficult to find modern ones the right size, that are flexible enough to sit flat on the curved windscreen.

Tyres - Theres a few options out there. First off you want to decide if you want to run 145s as original or 155s. If you intend to use it a lot, 155s are easier to source if you get into trouble and need one in an emergency. There is a company selling Toyos for about £50 a corner. Some say the handle better with the wider tyre which makes sense, but I'm still undecided if theres a noticable difference. Also, you may have the watch the clearance in the rear wheel arch with them. 145s are tricker to find. Firestones are about £90+ each. Michelins are the ones for me, but at £120ish (if you can find someone stocking them) not the cheapest option and not a huge gain over other makes. Nankangs are the cheapest 145 I know of. I bought a pair to try at £40 each and find them good enough for the job. Some G owners moan about grip and wet handling, but it depends how 'spirited' you want to drive. However, I will say I've found the Nankangs are miles better than running 20 year old Michelins!

LHM - Check the condition in the tank and see if you can spot the white disc in the bottom. Just watch your wrist on the razor-like edge of the tank! As the Rugg's GSA is super low mileage its probably not an issue, but you might find, as I did, that after a bit of mileage back on the road the LHM will get dirty as the suspension is worked and fluid gets flushed around, etc. My blue GS looked good, but after a year it was black.

One thing I've noticed missing is Exhausts! :lol: The backboxes tend to hold condensation and rust from the inside. You'll probably want to invest in some exhaust paste to seal up all those joints. I've got quite a few Y-pipes and odds if you get stuck.

Right I need a drink and a lie down! :lol: ..........................
macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Post by macplaxton »

DOMW wrote:Fuel filter - As others have mentioned, theres no fuel filter as such. However, I've had a couple where a normal in-line filter has been fitted just after the fuel tank, attached to the rear subframe by a couple of rubber o-rings. Not sure if it became a retrofit or just a coincidence. Its worth checking there and replacing it if there is. If not, just fit one at the carb end as its much easier to change if you have a problem. Keep a spare! :)
My 1978 X2 has a fuel filter in front of the tank held in by a couple of O-rings. It's the larger of the plastic in-line ones you get. The one I pulled from it was this:

Mecafilter_ELE1990.jpeg by macplaxton, on Flickr

It's more or less the same size as a Hellfrauds HFF200 I got the other day for another car, the HFF201 is the small one.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

pm sent

add alternator belt to your list

coolanrt ) make sure all the fan blades are intact

as Max says the factory fitted fuel filter is just in front of the petrol tank

G's have two cam belt very simple to fit once you've got the fan off ,

also i bought a set of Motaquip rear pads from this seller the same as this item
just confirm with the seller the set they are sending are Genuine Motaquip

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CITROEN-GS-RE ... 3a66707cc3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Motaquip are part of the PSA group and these pads are full of copper specs as the OE/ TEXTAR were,
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

ps.

cam belt tensioners check link below

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 25&t=37912" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
DOMW
My Cars:

Post by DOMW »

That large filter is the same as the ones I've seen. I thought it was too much of a coincidence to have 2 Gs with a fuel filter there. My '72 1220 doesn't, but that has had a replacement rear subframe at some at point.

Good point on the fan blades Malcolm, I've seen quite a few with broken fans.

On brakes, cheap discs do appear on ebay from time to time. You might find that the brakes will clean up easy enough, but its worth checking them as they may have been worn when it was parked up. When I checked the Mouse Mobile it had new front discs and pads! The handbrake might need adjusting, especially as they are very easy to leave on.

Check out some of the ebay sellers, as I bought stuff before that you can't normally get, only to be thanked for my order and told they'll get them in and let me know when they can dispatch. As stuff is listed in catalogues and not available when they come to order it.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Nobody's mentioned the plugs...is it the GS job nobody dare speak about? Or shall we just wait and see how much r_d enjoys that job. Lets hope the exhuast manifiolds haven't rotted out too :lol: You need a BIIIIIG socket for the fan - 42mm or something? My Dad's got one somewhere that was bought in order to replace the rubber boot (?) on the suspension pump - used once AFAIK!
Richard W
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Welding?

Apparently MrMOTman see's the front under tray apron as a structural component of the body shell and heaven knows what the foam padding behind the front plastic bumper has done. Check inside the boot sides / inner wings behind the carpet. Love to see pictures...
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Many thanks for all the pointers :D

That was a very helpful one Dom, a drink well deserved!

She's back home now. I'll stick some photos in my blog.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair