CCC - not renewing

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

User avatar
macplaxton
Posts: 167
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:09
Location: Ireland
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

CCC - not renewing

Post by macplaxton » 28 Jan 2012, 12:46

Well that's me done at the end of the month. I have decided not to renew my CCC membership after a cost/benefit analysis.

Still have the X2 and if anyone over there is looking for me (unlikely), they can find me here.
0x

citronut
Posts: 10974
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
Location: United Kingdom east sussex
My Cars:
x 3

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by citronut » 28 Jan 2012, 16:22

theres no G or D section in this months Citronian either,

regards malcolm
0x

User avatar
macplaxton
Posts: 167
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:09
Location: Ireland
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by macplaxton » 28 Jan 2012, 16:39

It's a nice mag, but I've noticed too that some months there is no G content.

I have to say that the forum issues were the last straw for me, so decided to vote with my wallet. I did send a letter to the CCC saying I wouldn't be renewing and why.
0x

User avatar
Citroening
Posts: 2517
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 21:19
Location: Cambridgeshire
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...
x 1

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by Citroening » 28 Jan 2012, 17:41

Well in all honesty it's not the CCCs fault or doing that there is no (eg) G content. It is firstly down to the columnist and then the members too - the columnists need the members input and content to write a column. Admittedly they can write about their own cars and what they've done to them however that only goes part of the way. Other commitments too could play a part as at the end of the day the columnists aren't paid etc and I'd hazard a guess it takes a good while to compile the column. I say compile as I'd expect that it's collaborating people's correspondence and pictures etc as well as writing the rest of it.

Content is needed from the G owners and G enthusiasts from the sounds of things. An example could be the very good Visa, C15, LN/A, Axel "Vis-a-Vis" column - there's hardly any Visa's left (probably a bit more than Gs though) but still just over the 100 mark. However, it appears that Visa owners do write and correspond and every month there is the excellent column. :-D

Perhaps G owners just need to correspond more??? :?:
0x
Franklin

citronut
Posts: 10974
Joined: 29 Apr 2005, 00:46
Location: United Kingdom east sussex
My Cars:
x 3

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by citronut » 28 Jan 2012, 17:58

i agree with what you say Franklin, bring back Chris Salter i say as he didnt seem to need much help with input :-D :wink:
so what about the D section anyone would think Nigel has more important things to be doing :shock: :roll: :lol: :wink:

regards malcolm
0x

User avatar
macplaxton
Posts: 167
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:09
Location: Ireland
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by macplaxton » 28 Jan 2012, 18:28

Points taken and understood. I've known many a club magazine editor tear his (or her) hair out because they had little or nothing in the way of contributions to edit.

The volunteer argument only gets so far though. If they are too busy, then why are they volunteering. If the post demands too much time/commitment, then should it be paid post? It's not like magazine printers do it for nothing.

The internet forum presents a number of challenges to the traditional car club. Clubs should move with the times and work out a model that best works for them. What I do know is the current model the CCC is using is broke.
0x

User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4891
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 10:15
Location: Buckinghamshire
My Cars:
x 11

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by DickieG » 28 Jan 2012, 19:00

Having been the Xantia columnist for about 5 years it took me at least a full day compile a column when I was left to write about my own car's, not to mention the time I took doing the repairs to gather the information (my Activa kept me supplied with copy for at least a year :roll: ).

What isn't obvious is the time columnists spend dealing with phone enquiries, all this takes quite chunk of spare time that could be better spent with your own family, it's for this reason that I was very relieved when Jim volunteered to take the column over from me. As Franklin points out columnists aren't paid and don't even get a discount on club subs so it's often a thankless task, I know some of them have had a few brickbats from members over the years on various subjects so I'm very relieved to be out of it.

Out of interest what is/are the problems with the CCC forum? I haven't been on there for months and won't be visiting again.
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

User avatar
macplaxton
Posts: 167
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:09
Location: Ireland
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by macplaxton » 28 Jan 2012, 19:16

DickieG wrote:Out of interest what is/are the problems with the CCC forum?


Well it's not (at least from outward appearances) had anything much done to it. There was an upgrade that broke the log-in of migrated accounts, so it was always asking for log-in details even if the box had been checked to be kept logged in. Apart from that, being a closed place it didn't have much traffic, well at least by my view of ratio of paid-up members to active users. The G section could go months without a post. The current webmaster is too busy doing paid work to do anything with it. I haven't visited since I sent a request to remove my online account on the 20th November 2011, to which I've had no acknowledgement. The partitioning by model is logical, but really needs streamlining as some technical elements would have relevance to similarly engineered models.

DickieG wrote:I haven't been on there for months and won't be visiting again.

My I ask why or is that a stupid question?
0x

User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4891
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 10:15
Location: Buckinghamshire
My Cars:
x 11

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by DickieG » 28 Jan 2012, 21:42

Since Adrian went on his adventure the forum has suffered, not helping is that the forum is only available to CCC members who it appears aren't very interested in using it so there's little point on joining the CCC if you were seeking specialist information on a particular Citroen, far more info is available on forums such as this one.

One thing I can't understand is that despite being a paying member you have to seek approval to place an advert on the website, no wonder it's rare to see items for sale, I recall members questioning this policy but being knocked back :roll:

macplaxton wrote:
DickieG wrote:I haven't been on there for months and won't be visiting again.

My I ask why or is that a stupid question?

I dared to ask why the ICCCCR date was changed to clash with the Olympics, why no day tickets were available and the chosen location was so remote. The organising committee chose to ignore my questions and other members all but told me to go forth and multiply which is what I'll be doing when my membership is up for renewal.

From my experience the CCC loaded with far too many stuffy stuck in the wool members who are aloof and afraid of change, when I think of what I put into that club then look at what I got back in return [-X
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH

Northern_Mike
x 48

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by Northern_Mike » 28 Jan 2012, 22:08

DickieG wrote:From my experience the CCC loaded with far too many stuffy stuck in the wool members who are aloof and afraid of change, when I think of what I put into that club then look at what I got back in return [-X


It's not just the CCC that is like that I'm afraid Richard, I've been a member of a few clubs over the year, and they are much of a muchness. I decided to save my money on CCC subs about 10 years ago. I came across this place via Adrian (who I knew from long ago on the Yahoogroups 2CV-L) who had directed me to Jim (and yourself as it happens) when I was having Activa problems a few years ago!
0x

User avatar
Citroening
Posts: 2517
Joined: 26 Feb 2010, 21:19
Location: Cambridgeshire
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...
x 1

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by Citroening » 28 Jan 2012, 22:28

macplaxton wrote:Well it's not (at least from outward appearances) had anything much done to it. There was an upgrade that broke the log-in of migrated accounts, so it was always asking for log-in details even if the box had been checked to be kept logged in. Apart from that, being a closed place it didn't have much traffic, well at least by my view of ratio of paid-up members to active users. The G section could go months without a post. The current webmaster is too busy doing paid work to do anything with it. I haven't visited since I sent a request to remove my online account on the 20th November 2011, to which I've had no acknowledgement. The partitioning by model is logical, but really needs streamlining as some technical elements would have relevance to similarly engineered models.

Once again, it's member driven, just like the magazine columns. If nobody posts then there's no content for people to read and comment on on there. If nobody contacts the columnists then there's nothing to read (once they've run out of content about their own cars). There are a few problems yes, but logging in twice doesn't take much more time. A slight hindrance, yes, but a reason not to visit at all? :?: On the Webmaster side of things, things will be changing in the near future I've heard...
DickieG wrote:I dared to ask why the ICCCCR date was changed to clash with the Olympics, why no day tickets were available and the chosen location was so remote. The organising committee chose to ignore my questions and other members all but told me to go forth and multiply which is what I'll be doing when my membership is up for renewal.

I remember seeing that Richard and was a little taken aback at some of the things a couple of people said. I do agree with your comments re the ICCCCCCCCCR about the dates and location however it seems that it's going to be like that so c'est la vie...
DickieG wrote:From my experience the CCC loaded with far too many stuffy stuck in the wool members who are aloof and afraid of change, when I think of what I put into that club then look at what I got back in return [-X

Well I don't think they are all like that however I suppose it depends what sort of "model brigade" you're at - one reason I do like the CX, XM and Xantia Rally as opposed to the DSM Rally. <puts on tin hat>

I'd say that most people join the CCC due to the magazine and the events it holds as there are various websites and forums out there that can offer probably more website and site-traffic wise however the Citroenian is an Award Winning Monthly Magazine and has some great shows/events throughout the year. Sure, other "places" can organise a meet however they mostly normally come along to the CCC Events...
0x
Franklin

User avatar
Citroenmad
Posts: 8111
Joined: 04 Dec 2008, 23:08
Location: Northeast
My Cars:

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by Citroenmad » 28 Jan 2012, 22:36

The only real fault I have with the CCC is its fourm, its slow at the best of times and few people seem to contribute. Im not one for holding back with posts on forums but even I never go on there.

DickieG wrote:I dared to ask why the ICCCCR date was changed to clash with the Olympics, why no day tickets were available and the chosen location was so remote. The organising committee chose to ignore my questions and other members all but told me to go forth and multiply which is what I'll be doing when my membership is up for renewal.


Im not so sure why the ICCCR is at the venue it is, it is not very central to the UK but that is quite short sighted as surely it would catch more members from further North than a normal CCC rally would. Also people are travelling from all over the world and so location is not too important there either.

As it goes I think its a good venue, I was there today for an event actually, and after having a tour around the site by Nigel in the summer it looks like it will have the facilities needed, there is masses of space, lots of different styles of indoor and outdoor display areas and its a nice location.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

User avatar
macplaxton
Posts: 167
Joined: 08 Jun 2011, 18:09
Location: Ireland
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by macplaxton » 28 Jan 2012, 22:39

Thanks for the reply DickieG. I can see the problems with marque clubs as opposed to model ones.

Logging in twice is an issue when there is nothing much to see in there when you finally get in. Yes, I put a fair few posts down of one sort or another, but there wasn't much response (with everyone being elsewhere). Other issues include the lack of discount visibly being applied by the local GSF, so it really just became a luxury magazine subscription for the money. Whilst things may change in the future for the CCC forum, it's too little, too late as active posters are established elsewhere now.

Thankfully not all clubs I belong to are living in the past. At least one of my subscriptions (yes I own too many cars) justifies itself for the amazing spares operation the club runs.
0x

User avatar
Deanxm
Posts: 3286
Joined: 18 Dec 2008, 18:57
Location: Isle of wight
My Cars: Citroen XM
x 30

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by Deanxm » 28 Jan 2012, 23:06

Thankfully not all clubs I belong to are living in the past. At least one of my subscriptions (yes I own too many cars) justifies itself for the amazing spares operation the club runs.


Sounds like the triumph stag owners club you dark horse :lol:

I have to admit i dont use the CCC forum for the same reason i wouldnt climb into my wardrobe, there is nothing much interesting in either, while i have not seen any strange behavour thats probably because im not very involved but it is normal for such an organisation to be full of irrelivant politics from experience and i dont need to fill my leasure time with it.

The mag is good but if im honest i only ever read the xm and xant pages and look longingly at sm, cx, ds and C6 pictures which is fine but i can follow Jim's and Roberts antics here and on the xm site in real time, i just dont understand the point of the mag, from a club point of view its expensive to produce and probably a bit of a headache and from my point of view its rather dificult to talk to jim via a bit of paper and its full of stuff i either dont care about or already know.

Why not ditch the mag and use the forum?

D
0x
XM Prestige 92, surgery has begun, RIP faithfull 2.0i
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............

User avatar
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
Posts: 4891
Joined: 25 Nov 2006, 10:15
Location: Buckinghamshire
My Cars:
x 11

Re: CCC - not renewing

Post by DickieG » 28 Jan 2012, 23:11

Citroening wrote:
DickieG wrote:From my experience the CCC loaded with far too many stuffy stuck in the wool members who are aloof and afraid of change, when I think of what I put into that club then look at what I got back in return [-X

Well I don't think they are all like that however I suppose it depends what sort of "model brigade" you're at

I quite agree Franklin, not for one minute would I suggest that my description applied to everyone in the CCC but there does appear to be what I suppose is best described as an "Old guard" that are revered and behave as of they are not open to question.

Citroening wrote:I'd say that most people join the CCC due to the magazine and the events it holds as there are various websites and forums out there that can offer probably more website and site-traffic wise however the Citroenian is an Award Winning Monthly Magazine and has some great shows/events throughout the year. Sure, other "places" can organise a meet however they mostly normally come along to the CCC Events...

The magazine is very good and TBH the only reason to be in the club as you can go to any of the events anyway. I think most of us use the CCC's events facility as a meeting place which in turn supports the CCC as without FCF and BXC member's attending their events the events would run at a considerable loss.
0x
14 BMW 535D Tourer
11 BMW F25 X3 3.0D Sport
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH