The CXM Rally is no more, arise the...

A place to discuss any upcoming meets, club rallies and general get togethers.

Moderator: RichardW

jwalshe
My Cars: Citroen 2CV6
Citroen CX GTi Turbo (Series 1)
Citroen C5 2.2 HDi Exclusive SE
Citroen Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi Desire
Citroen AX TRE
Citroen Dyane

Post by jwalshe »

Now if I could take a photograph like that, life would be complete...!

Part of my reason for coming to the event is to tempt myself back into a CX but having driven from Birmingham to Bristol today and back, I'm giving some serious thought to keeping this Activa. It's just breathtakingly good - can't get over how motorway curves and sliproads are dispatched with so little fuss not to mention the comfort of the big leather armchairs. Keep having to look at the speedo! Cruise control would have been a welcome addition, for safety more than anything...!
Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

robert_e_smart wrote:Are those Prestige seats coming again Franklin?
Well funnily enough Robert, at the end of last year's rally we gave them to Dom - so he's got them now! :lol: But, I think there's a set of Series 1 GTi Turbo and/or Series 1 Pallas Seats in the barn. :D
Franklin
robert_e_smart
My Cars:

Post by robert_e_smart »

But, I think there's a set of Series 1 GTi Turbo and/or Series 1 Pallas Seats in the barn.
Good, good! As long as we have furniture for the gazebo! :lol: :lol:
1990 XM 2.1 Turbo SD
1991 BX 16 TGS Auto
1992 ZX 1.6 Aura Auto
1994 Xantia 2.0 16V VSX
2008 C5 2.7 Exclusive
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

jwalshe wrote:Now if I could take a photograph like that, life would be complete...!
I thought you'd taken it using the self timer :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Been out for a (very) long drive in the Activa today recceing the convoy drive. I've found a great destination and have two possible routes to it. One of about 30 miles and the other of about 12. Both are scenic and both hardly touch built up areas or main roads except where necessary or it adds to the experience.

The destination offers a fairly quick blat back to the rally site along mostly main roads should that be wanted.

Both routes comprise far more left turns at junctions than rights and no right turns out onto main roads unless absolutely unavoidable. So far, just one on a quiet B road. I've also tried to avoid really congested little villages where cars are parked twenty deep in the road.

Question is, is the consensus for the long or short route, given that the long one is over an hour's run from the rally site due to the twistiness and smallness of some of the roads. Please give me your thoughts.

Although I'm keeping quiet about the destination, I think it'll go down well. there's some interesting stuff to do there (all free) and it's perfect for a picnic.

Robyn and I will test drive it soon to test the navigation instructions. If Robyn can find it then anyone will be able to :lol: :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

I would be up for the longer route :)
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Are there any tunnels? :twisted:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Toby_HDi wrote:Are there any tunnels? :twisted:
Umm, no. 'fraid not Toby...

Not even a decent railway bridge..

Tunnels around here are a bit scarce...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

I'm up for the short simply because we spend more time at the destination... and also because I think I'll have most of my family with me!
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

There's no reason why both routes shouldn't be offered Phil, one for the hard-core and one for those who just want get there in reasonable time to enjoy the destination.

The kids'll love it. It was my daughters who suggested the place...
Jim

DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

The feedback I've had from doing a few DSM convoy routes is that around 16 - 20 miles is preferable.

Oh and no matter how detailed your route instructions, numerous people prefer not to follow them then moan when they get lost :roll:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

DickieG wrote:The feedback I've had from doing a few DSM convoy routes is that around 16 - 20 miles is preferable.

Oh and no matter how detailed your route instructions, numerous people prefer not to follow them then moan when they get lost :roll:
The other thing is to plan more than one convoy (after last year) then you can see how many times you meet each other :wink:
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Trainman wrote:The other thing is to plan more than one convoy (after last year) then you can see how many times you meet each other :wink:
As Jim's finding out planning a decent convoy route takes ages and gets quite costly in fuel, one trick I've used to save time and money is to put Google earth to good use, its excellent for direction signs as you can't always stop near the location :wink:

I did just that a few years ago for the DSM, two routes set off in different directions to meet/pass each other midway. The idea was great but it took a hell of a lot of planning even though I know the area very well, on the day Nigel Wild was in the front car giving directions but apparently was so busy talking he didn't read the directions (honest :lol:),,,,,,,,,,,,big 'U' turn everyone :roll: :lol:
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
citroenesque
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by citroenesque »

DickieG wrote:
Trainman wrote:The other thing is to plan more than one convoy (after last year) then you can see how many times you meet each other :wink:
As Jim's finding out planning a decent convoy route takes ages and gets quite costly in fuel, one trick I've used to save time and money is to put Google earth to good use, its excellent for direction signs as you can't always stop near the location :wink:
Exactly. I have used a combination of AA, ViaMichelin, Google maps (particularly useful is Streetview), a road Atlas and other online resources to plan the Citroen Classic Challenge route (which runs to 6 pages!)...
1992 Citroen BX TZD Turbo Diesel hatch, white, 92k
*SOLD* 1998 Citroen Xantia Ser.1 Turbo Diesel manual, Desire Limited Edition hatch, Mauritius Blue, 118k
2003 Rover 75 CDTi Connoisseur SE Tourer auto, BRG, 135k
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Last year we met the front of the convoy coming the other way, we did a quick 3 point turn on a very narrow road and then shot off after them. I remember me, Will and Paul chasing each other along trying to find the rest of you. It was very good fun, more of that! :lol:
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10