Hello

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

DeanO61
My Cars: 2006 Citroen C5 V6 Exclusive

Hello

Post by DeanO61 »

My name is Dean. I live in Whangarei, New Zealand and my current ride is a 2006 C5 Exclusive with A V6 and 6 stage transmission. It's had one previous custodian and has now 114,000 km on the clock. This is my fifth round of Citroen custody. I've also owned a host of other makes, mainly Japanese.
So, what are my impressions fifth time around?
Well after 11 months and 23,000 km -, it's great so far. Given most other cars I've owned have been a pain in the arse at times - regardless of make!
Last week it fried it's starter motor (not uncommon in any brand these days I'm told) - on a particularly hot day. Currently I have a downstream oxygen sensor which is duff. Apart from the annoying nanny alarms, the car still performs faultlessly. Better get the sensor replaced though otherwise I won't know when the Cat's going to spit the dummy...the duff sensor warns of this problem before the Cat craps itself apparently.
The likely cause of the sensor failure? Well, my local petrol station sells 98 octane E10. Yep, that ethanol stuff the greenies whined at the gullible government about til they got it.
Seems booze isn't good for cars either....
I'm back on plain old 95 octane ULP again. Lesson learned. Looking forward to checking out and sharing experiences everyone.
Best wishes and Namaste
Yeah I practice yoga too....
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: Hello

Post by xantia_v6 »

Welcome to the forum.

I hope that you don't have too many more issues with your C5.

I don't think that running on E10 should have caused a problem with your car, as all European cars built since about 2000 are required to run on E10, which is now standard in many countries. In France the 2 commonly available grades of petrol are 95 RON E10 and 98 RON E0.
DeanO61

Post by DeanO61 »

That's good to know. Thanks for the information. I don't have to travel far to fill up then.
Owning any car will uncover issues as it gets older. In my experience, any car can be troublesome if the maintenance is not up to scratch or its been damaged somehow.
The worse car I've experienced with regard to problems was a 1982 Cortina 2.0 L. The best - believe it or not, was a 1994 Citroen ZX Aura Diesel.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Hi, and :welc: to the Forum.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome
I'm after a c6 with that engine :)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
DeanO61

Post by DeanO61 »

Thanks James. I see you have two Xantias and a C5. I ran a 1994 Xantia SX 1.9 TD sedan for a few years and later a grey import 1996 2.0 VSX which I used for car club activities as well as a daily driver.
DeanO61

Post by DeanO61 »

Hi Iain. Great post about your CX experience. I admire your perseverance. Doubt mine could match that!
Yes the V6 is great. It has a Jekyll and Hyde personality. Very smooth and frankly lazy on one hand but once the fairly high torque peak is hit, it flies along sufficiently to incur a hefty fine, accompanied by a quite satisfying bark.
The Aistin 6 stage box is one of the best autos I've experienced once you master how to use it smoothly.
Because the roads where I live are hilly and twisty, the manual mode is actually useful as is the Hydractive Plus suspension in dealing with the poorly maintained and often unsealed surfaces.