First time I own a French car and its a Citroen

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

johnny625
My Cars: Citroen Xsara 1.9 td

First time I own a French car and its a Citroen

Post by johnny625 »

Hello everyone,

I come from Macedonia, a small country in SE Europe. My day job is IT related stuff but I have been interested in everything mechanical since I was a little boy.

As the subject says, from recently I own a 1998 Citroen Xsara with non other than the famed XUD engine. I am bit of a diesel head and love the grunty low down torque.

Honestly I wanted a diesel car and it happened to be that I bought a Xsara with an XUD engine due to their reputation for reliability and durability. However I came to appreciate this engine and I was rather surprised by the amount of people that are driving and tuning these beauties.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: First time I own a French car and its a Citroen

Post by wurlycorner »

Hello and welcome :)
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Welcome and Helllloooo
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Zdravo - i dobredojde! 8-)

Still many Citroens (+ a few Renault 4's) in that part of the world, at least there were, - as daily drivers, Jim :wink: Goes back to when they were made in what is now Slovenia.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

great engines, I've run nothing but XUD na's the past 11years.

I was also really impressed with the Xsara, we one as a Courtesy Car for about 5 days, some while ago after daughter's car broke down; nicely styled, roomy and comfortable. Engine parts are unlikely ever to be a problem as they've lots of applications, but might be wise to gather 'Xsara specific' parts before most of them die out.

NB: the dealer had a really good idea. A number of old, low value, courtesy cars and instead of taking broken down vehicles single-y, had a three vehicle transporter to do a 'round robin', collecting the Courtesies in the process. Particularly effective as was in Cornwall.
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 22 Jun 2017, 23:22 great engines, I've run nothing but XUD na's the past 11years.

I love them too :) Just replace cambelts very regularly and look after the cooling system and they go on for ever and ever...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
johnny625

Post by johnny625 »

Thank you for your welcome.

Older Citroen's around here are still quite common and people who own them seem to be very loyal to the brand.

In general I agree that things in the interior in the Xsara might be prone to getting broken and damaged given the age of the car. Mine is still in rather good nick and has been well looked after by the previous owner. The rear beam is in great nick and during the last work on it someone was kind enough to put grease nipples on it so from time I take it to shop where they grease the bearings.

Also only a few miles from where I live I have a french car's breakers that have pretty much everything for the Xsara so no trouble there.
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

johnny625 wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 08:54 Thank you for your welcome.
Nema problema :-D

Older Citroen's around here are still quite common and people who own them seem to be very loyal to the brand.
something else I got right :o

In general I agree that things in the interior in the Xsara might be prone to getting broken and damaged given the age of the car. Mine is still in rather good nick and has been well looked after by the previous owner. The rear beam is in great nick and during the last work on it someone was kind enough to put grease nipples on it so from time I take it to shop where they grease the bearings.
your knowledge - & use, of collequial English is very impressive! 8-)

Also only a few miles from where I live I have a french car's breakers that have pretty much everything for the Xsara so no trouble there.
Many people here wish they could say the same, If you have a ready source of parts for our sort of cars (& vans) you might find yourself in the export business :wink:
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

van ordinaire wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 01:35If you have a ready source of parts for our sort of cars (& vans) you might find yourself in the export business
oh yes! Mine's a 'late' Pug 405 :-D .
Puxa
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Actually, I wouldn't mind a trip out to the Former Yugoslav Republic known as Macedonia (just in case we have any Greek members we don't want to upset).
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
johnny625

Post by johnny625 »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 16:35
van ordinaire wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 01:35If you have a ready source of parts for our sort of cars (& vans) you might find yourself in the export business
oh yes! Mine's a 'late' Pug 405 :-D .

Generally they don't have parts for older pugs especially things not related to the engine and the transmission. In regards to the engine they have a lot things and huge selection of turbos and intake/exhaust related stuff. I was surprised to find a huge selection of radio aerials when I decided to replace the rather rough and faded looking that was on my Xsara. :-D

van ordinaire wrote: 26 Jun 2017, 01:35
johnny625 wrote: 24 Jun 2017, 08:54 Thank you for your welcome.
Nema problema :-D

something else I got right :o

your knowledge - & use, of collequial English is very impressive! 8-)

Many people here wish they could say the same, If you have a ready source of parts for our sort of cars (& vans) you might find yourself in the export business :wink:
Well you are not the first to praise my knowledge of English but thank you. :)