Why did you choose the French Car you own

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Peugeot_Russ
My Cars:

Why did you choose the French Car you own

Post by Peugeot_Russ »

Hey all, just wanting to know why all the French car drivers here, chose the french car they currently own.

For me, it was exclusiveness and all luxury features as standard.
mickeymoon

Re: Why did you choose the French Car you own

Post by mickeymoon »

Berlingo - it's just about the most useful vehicle ever.

Peugeot 207 - because it has all the toys and was cheap

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Hmm, good topic.

For me, when I returned to motoring, back in the early 2000's, I knew that I was only interested in a Diesel and did a bit of research online into the various diesel options available on my budget then.

I 'graduated' from a 309GRD via a Cit ZX to a Peugeot 405 Diesel estate and have stuck with 'em since 2008. I like the space (square rear roofline), practicality, comfort, fuel economy, rarity and styling (Pininfarina).

I also know my way around 'em and PSA cars don't seem to rust as badly as most and the fact that my 1995 car doesn't have a computer therefore I can fix it with DIY tools.

Its also a real pleasure to drive (its slow acceleration from a standing start makes you a better driver) and satisfying to know that its my hard work and knowledge gained via friends, acquaintances and this Forum that mean that its on the road and in pretty good repair - which is also testimony to decent engineering in the first place.
Puxa
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The 205 auto, because i have owned a 205 previously and loved it so i wanted another which had to be auto, power steering and 3 door. The fact it was one owner 33000 miles and mint condition is a bonus.

The 407 coupe, because i love the styling, its a v6 auto, the best colour, its a 5 star ncap rating. Its auto, i wanted one lol

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

A 2CV, so I'd have a better understanding of what my son was talking about when he had problems with his.

The C15 because it has more character than a Berly AND it was the last Citroen that could trace its ancestory back to the 2CV + I thought it would be ideal to tow the 2CV & carry the new chassis it needs to my friend's garage in Belgium (but, apparently it's not such a good tow car as a Berly - despite having the same engine). However it provides almost as much fun to drive, while being even more practical.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
others:-
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

C5x7, for work and comfort. I NEED HA suspension as I carry weight quite often.
Activa v.6, hahahahahaha-wooooo-ohhhhshhhhhhit-hahahaha
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I ran Citroen's for 25 years or more, the first were CX for most refined diesel engine of the time, internal space in the estate and the superb drive and comfort.

I then went over to XMs as decent CX's were getting difficult to get, not as good as the CX but a close second, the 2,1 diesel must have been the best IDI unit ever made.

When my last XM went I took what I thought the most logical step was and got a C5, very disappointing compared to the XM. I then changed horses to Peugeot and bought a 406 Hdi estate, wonderful cars, I'm on my third now, they are about the most reliable car I have owned and do everything well, not as good a ride as the Citroens but much better handling and 60+ mpg available if driven gently.

Peter
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

After driving a GS and a CX Familiale, the first of our own was an '89 BX19RD (NA). Loved the shape, the ride and comfort, the inside space, all the glass, the ability to tow, and it was like driving a car on railway lines. XUD finally sussed and loved, and - as some have said - maybe one of the best passenger car diesel engines ever made - and so quiet!

Logical replacement was an XM, which we bought ex-demo in 1999. Eighteen years later, we still have the 2.5 (it's actually a '96 build), and it's just the best car we've ever had - an intergalactic cruiser, with a real turn of speed. It's also one of my current ways of staving off stagnation of the grey matter: always something to understand, and no sign of that ending.
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I first got into French with an R4 in 1977 followed by another and then an R5... I really fell for the R4 in a big way. I had a break until 1990 when I had an AX and then from 2000 nothing but. In the last 17 years I've had 2 405s, 4 205s, countless Xantias, 3 XMs and now a 207...

What the future holds I don't know... But for now I have no intention of changing... I love my French cars deeply, especially my Activa...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I forgot about the BX's, my wife drove those mainly but we had a TZD estate which was a wonderful car, the original diesel pocket rocket, we gave it to my son and someone ran into the back of it and wrote it off. :(

Peter
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

The XM because I wanted one of the oldest. Didn't realise it's quirks and oddities, because of it being one of the very early ones, so now I love it as much as I hate it.

The Xantia because it's a 93 sinker - simple as!

And my daily? . . a 2008 Volvo S60 d5. Solidity, quality, reliability, in a class that modern Citroën's can't get close to.

Her Highness has a C4GP which she loves . . . but she still has her sights set on a Volvo XC90 or XC60. Good taste my dear lady.
Last edited by Eddie Nuff on 14 Apr 2017, 12:00, edited 1 time in total.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Eddie, can't fault your choices or your reasons :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

From seeing my first Citroens - the DS, CX and GSAs whilst living in Germany and travelling Europe as a kid with the family back in the 70s, I was fascinated at how they rose up when started. My father always told me they rode on a cushion of air - like a hovercraft - before we knew better!

So personally, I have never owned anything other than a hydraulic Citroen from my first GSA to my current X7, I've driven many, many other vehicles, but Citroen has always been my vehicle of choice for the ride quality, the engineering and the uniqueness factors - now sadly diminishing rapidly on all fronts.

So it is with great sadness that with the end of Hydropneumatic / Hydractive Citroens, that I am going to be in Hydraulic purgatory unless something else comes along :cry:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

My Dad was a Citroen Engineer, he worked on D's, SM's, CX's GS's and god alone what combinations thereof.....

I chose the C6 because I wanted something different from the normal boring run of the mill, I also wanted something that was a long term car, sort of an investment, but not for money...... if that makes sense? I didn't want a D because I'm just over fond of them, I would have loved a CX but at the time the C6 was my daily driver so the CX was out of the equation .

I bought my first C6, because I'd seen it locally at work, took it for a drive, and we sat in traffic on the M6 for over an hour, it didn't bother me, sitting in the traffic, I was in a car, I felt happy to be in........... That one, unfortunately got wrote off, and, after hunting for a while I found my current one, in the spec I wanted.

the X7 Tourer, is a purchase I sort of needed, we had a DS4 that got stolen, so I bought a series 1 C5 estate, because we have a 14 month old Labrador (who will walk out of his way to go through mud). I was planning to keep the car for 12 months and then get rid, but, best laid plans..........

I spotted the X7 for sale and noticed a few upgrades the car had, so bought it. The series 1 has gone to my nephew, in place of his C4 as he has a growing family,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather

http://c6owners.org/index.php
Citroenfan
My Cars: 1969.5 ID21 Break, 1972 DS21 BVH, 1973 SM, 1985 2CV6 Charleston, 1992 XM V6 12 valve - think that is all, currently\.

Post by Citroenfan »

At the tender age of 17+ I drove across the US to Canada in a 1962 DS Grand Route (1st DS model with a manual clutch) to participate in the Tour de St-Laurence bicycle race - second longest stage race, at the time, in the world (http://www.nfb.ca/film/60_cycles_en/). Returning to California at the end of the summer I convinced my parents to acquire one :) - From there it was all downhill for me. My parents basic model ID19 (1962) became mine a few years later. It got sold and I purchased a 1968 ID 19. That was replaced with a 72 DS 21 in the mid 70's. Then acquired a 73 SM and sold the 72 DS. The SM (still have it) was supplemented with a 72 DS 21 BVH that I salvaged from the 'crushers' in 1993. Added a 69.5 Break in 2011 - a 1985 2CV6 in 2014 and a 92 XM in 2915. Is there medication(s) for all of this :). Have only owned hydraulic Cits, personally, my entire life (OK the 2CV is the exception).

Steve (in California).