Just a quick hello.

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Jimmyjaffa
My Cars: 91 Peugeot 305 van
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Just a quick hello.

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself. My names Jim and from Birmingham. I'm just started a full restoration of a 91 Peugeot 305 van. I hope to keep you all updated with its progress.
IMG_0382.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Re: Just a quick hello.

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome.
Someone has definitely had some fun with that bonnet! :-?
Nice to see someone interested in doing a restoration on a van.
What's the connection?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome :D That's just the kind of restoration project I love... Something a bit different and special..

I'll be enjoying reading of progress on this, as I'm sure many other will. Maybe you can start a blog ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Jimmyjaffa
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

Cheers guys for the enthusiasm, it's nice to see that there are a few people who appreciate vans especially the 305. The connection to these vans is that my late dad had a few and he used to take me to work with him all the time back in the day when kids where aloud in dangerous factories etc[emoji23]. He taught me how to drive in one and when I passed it was my first mode of transport. I thought it was the bee n EE's. then met the wife and back in the day when fuel was about 50p a litre I used to fill up and drive for hundreds of miles a night. Miss them days[emoji22]. With regards to a blog I'm not really sure how to do one but if you could give me some pointers I would be willing to give it a go.

I also have this as the parts car, I bought both together for £200 and the estate actually has 7 months mot. Don't as me how[emoji23] I think Stevie wonder was working that day.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

The 305 is still a good-looker, another timeless design in common with all Pugs from around that time... Who styled it?
Jimmyjaffa wrote: I also have this as the parts car, I bought both together for £200 and the estate actually has 7 months mot. Don't as me how[emoji23] I think Stevie wonder was working that day.
:rofl2:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

What's the story with the red one?
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Jimmyjaffa
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Just a quick hello.

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

That's the one I was interested in first as my dads was a red one but when I saw it up close it was to dark a red. Anyway I ask to buy that and he said no way as he had had it from new. Can't say I blame him. Nice bloke though as in the £200 deal he gave me the two motors, a spare xud9 engine, Brand new factory manuals with all updates and also factory wiring diagrams, micro fish for all the parts, spare bonnet and two spare doors and when needed the dealer tool for removing the rear axle springs. I think i may of payed to much [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Jimmyjaffa
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

CitroJim wrote:The 305 is still a good-looker, another timeless design in common with all Pugs from around that time... Who styled it?
It was styled by pininfarina, apparently it was a brand new design and one of the first cars to have crumple zones and side impact then obviously the amazing rear axle setup only let down by those creeky bearings.[emoji106]

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, good old Pininfarina :D The masters, along with Bertone, of timeless classic designs :D

The Pug rear beam :twisted: Great when it is good but a nightmare when it's bad... I've had some fun with those in the past on 205s...
Jim

Jimmyjaffa
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Just a quick hello.

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

CitroJim wrote:Ahh, good old Pininfarina :D The masters, along with Bertone, of timeless classic designs :D

The Pug rear beam :twisted: Great when it is good but a nightmare when it's bad... I've had some fun with those in the past on 205s...

I think the 205's are slightly different aren't they as they are torsion bar instead of springs?

CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jimmyjaffa wrote:I think the 205's are slightly different aren't they as they are torsion bar instead of springs?
Yes, Torsion bars on the 205.. I was thinking the 305 had the same sort of setup. Didn't realise it had springs...

More like a 406 then...
Jim

Jimmyjaffa
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

The tool is hard to get hold of.

Last edited by myglaren on 31 Jan 2017, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: YouTube tags
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Jimmyjaffa wrote:

The tool is hard to get hold of.
Wow! That is delightful and so easy with the special tool...

The tool looks fairly easy to fabricate from scratch...

I like that axle design a lot...
Jim

Jimmyjaffa
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

That's how they got all the room in the back as there was very little suspension intrusion into the body. The engine takes about 1/2 hour to drop out from underneath, the front steering and suspension all comes down on a sub frame and the rear suspension just unbolts and drops down.

Jimmyjaffa
87 Peugeot 305 estate

Post by Jimmyjaffa »

I believe that the C15 rear axle is the same but gives a bit more payload