Hello

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

builderpaul
My Cars: Citroen exclusively since 1973, many different cars, mainly estates. Current car 2008 C5 2.2 Tourer Exclusive.

Hello

Post by builderpaul »

Hello Everyone,

I'm a Citroen fan and after using your and similar forums, to gain valuable knowledge to allow me to carry out essential (but in my case, basic) maintenance on my car, I decided that it was about time I asked to join. I hope that I may be able to pass on tips that I have learned in the future.

My first introduction with Citroen was when I persuaded my father to buy a GS 1220 Club estate for our building business, back in 1973. This was a fantastic work horse and lasted many years until body rot forced us to part ex it for a more adaptable Citroen van, I then bought a Dyane for personal use and absolutely loved it. I've had Citroen's ever since, including Visa, Visa GT, BX, XM, C5 Mk1 and my current car, a C5 Mk 3 2.2 Exclusive Tourer. I'm very sad to see how Citroen has changed over the years, the individualism, the quirky designs and engineering that made them a truly different and exciting car is no longer there. Now I read that the famous suspension is finally being discontinued, although I am hopeful that the new system they are developing may be good.

Anyway, keep up the good work and best wishes to you all,

Paul :)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Hello

Post by myglaren »

Welcome Paul :welc:
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hellloooo and welcome
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome.
Quite an array of Citroen's you've owned there, indeed!
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Hi Paul

Welcome to the forum. I have run hyropnumatic Citroens almost exclusively from the days of the CX through XMs and lastly the C5, the CX was a super car but they have gradually been dumbed down until by the C5 there was very little Citroen left. I now run 406s which share a lot of the mechanical's with the C5 and although the ride is not as good but they handle better and are easier to repair.

I understand that the later C5's are very good but my pension doesn't run to one of those nor my expertise with modern cars.

Peter
builderpaul
My Cars: Citroen exclusively since 1973, many different cars, mainly estates. Current car 2008 C5 2.2 Tourer Exclusive.

Post by builderpaul »

Thanks to all of you for the warm welcome. Three Citroen's that I wish I had owned are the DS Safari and the CX estate, plus of course, the Traction Avant. Earlier larger models, in the time period they occupied, were always outside my price bracket! I agree Peter that, unfortunately, this wonderfully individual car manufacturer has consistently "dumbed down" new models over the years, I guess mainly due to the influence of Peugeot/costs. Also, all modern cars seem to be extremely difficult for the enthusiastic amateur to work on.

I guess that my most loved Citroen was the GS, because it was so Citroen back then and a cracking car, although I do remember almost going straight over a traffic island one day when my brakes failed due to a split hydraulic hose! The Dyane was also great fun and would embarrass ANY car, 4 wheel drive included, in the snow! I did also enjoy the Mk1 C5 until a Land Rover decided to plough into the back of it and right it off. I tow a heavy Hymer caravan and my 2.2 HDi C5, along with the Volvo V70, I guess is the only estate capable of pulling it. No idea what I'll end up with when my C5 decides to pack in!

Just checked my car list Ian, many of which I have the original invoices for. I tend to keep my cars for some time and generally try to buy second hand these days, around 12 months old. I started with a new GS in 1973, then a new Dyane in '79, a new small Visa '81, Visa GT around '82, BX saloon '86, BX est '88, BX GT est around '90, XM TD est '94 & '97, C5 Mk1 TD est '04 & C5 Mk3 TD est '08.

From '79 I've normally driven a Ford Transit van for work and today, now retired, I also have a 2007 VW TD Eos, which is great fun and I feel a bit more of a basic car compared to my C5.

Paul
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

They used to say about the CX that if you drove one for less than half an hour you wouldn't want to drive one again and if you drove it for more than half an hour you would never want to drive anything else, I came into the latter category.

I knew nothing about Citroens and only bought my first CX because of the superb diesel engines, it was only after I bought it that I realised what a wonderful car it was, I had three, two CX25 D Safari's and my last one which was a 25TD Safari, I personally covered 160,000 miles in that one.

The turbo 2 which came out in about '86 was the fastest diesel on the road, 0-60 in 10 seconds and a 120 mph, all that at 3600 rpm!

The diravi steering was wonderful as was the front suspension with the centrally mounted steering knuckles, you could drive it with a flat front tyre and hardly notice it. I wouldn't mind another one at the right price.

Peter