newbie with problems

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

spherefear

newbie with problems

Post by spherefear »

hello everyone, just joined as i thought someone on here could offer me some advise, i have a 94 xantia 1.9 td, awesome car but has no power, i sold the 306 as i needed something bigger, the 306 was like a rocket compared to the xantia, seems no boost at all, ive checked the obvious turbo seems fine but it wont pull the skin off a rice pudding, surely it should have more power than this, any help would be great, cheers, steve.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Welcome :)

First few things to check:

Fuel filter, if this is blocked it will sufer poor performance, if in doubt as to when it was changed: change it as they are only a few £ at the most.

A dirty air filter will also reduce power but usually causes smoking too (same with collapsed air piping)

Easy item to check there's usually a small rubber hose between the pump and the inlet manifold, this measures and provides the pump with the signal to increase fuelling under boost. If this pipe is perished or not in good condition etc it will be very slow. I know, mine split on my 205 and it was worse than a NA model.

Intercooler pipes around the radiator too, if these are loose or have popped off you will lose a lot of power.

Hope that's a bit of a start. You did not say it smoked or ran badly (or noisy) so have not mentioned anything pump timing related at this stage, always worth doing the cheap / free checks first ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
spherefear

Post by spherefear »

hi andy thanks for the quick response, ok, it starts first time idles nice and no start up smoke, if you drive it and put your foot down there isnt any significant smoke, but if you are stood still and rev it hard there is a lot of black smoke/ soot, it is a one owner car bought it from an elderly gentleman he told me it had a full service not a month ago and had new suspension pipes fitted, i onlyhave his word for the service but there are new pipes on it, anyway, i have owned a lot of pugs and citroens all have been turbo charged but the xantia is as you said as slow as a na, ive checked the obvious pipe fittings and condition, even checked the turbo for passing oil and for play in the shaft, all seems fine. cheers, steve.
Xaccers
My Cars:

Post by Xaccers »

I'd definitely double check the pipe from the UFO on top of the pump to the induction pipes.
1.9TD+ SX Xantia Estate (Cassy) running on 100% veg
1.9TD SX Xantia Hatchback (Jenny) running on 100% veg for sale
Laguna II 2.0dCi Privilege (Monty)

DIY sphere tool
spherefear

Post by spherefear »

hi everyone, i sorted out the lack of boost, split boost pipe, i thought i had checked them all and found a split by accident, underneath the top boost pipe 6 inch split along the seam, it now goes really well, much quicker than my old 306 and that was a sport, well impressed with the xantia, its a keeper lol.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Good to hear its fixed, and even more glad to hear it was an easy fix too ;)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG