Hello from Ireland

A forum for new members to introduce themselves to the rabble already onboard. Not compulsory!
Tell us a little about yourself, lie if you have to but keep it to just an introduction, not a car discussion.

Moderator: RichardW

Irish_Steve
My Cars: C4 Grand Picasso VTR+ 1.6 HDI, EGS

Hello from Ireland

Post by Irish_Steve »

Hi Folks,
A quick hello, with an intro and some background.

I live in Ireland, just north of Dublin in a town called Ashbourne, having moved to Ireland from the UK some 25 years ago with the company I was with at the time.

In theory I am retired, in practice, I've not stopped working yet, though what I'm doing now doesn't have too much relationship to what I was doing as part of my full time work, but that's how things have panned out as a result of the financial crash a few years ago.

What hair I have left is white, and I suspect that I may end up pulling some of it out over the next few weeks, as I've bitten the bullet, and gone and bought a high mileage non runner 2011 C4GP, VTR+ 1.6 HDI, with EGS, and according to the person that sold it, it needs a new clutch.

I went and got it last week, but since then, I haven't been able to spend any time on it to do any diagnostic testing or checking, other than to work out the basics of how the seats move and fold, and to determine that it does start and run, the displays are all correct as such, the gearbox select does show it's gone from N to R or A1, and the basic cabin electronics like the display, the windows and other related things all seem to work, and the electronic parking brake seems to be making the right noises, the only issue is that there's no drive getting through the gearbox.

It's got a few minor creases on the cills and the tailgate, and I need to look at how the front bumper is attached, as it's not quite right, the drivers seat arm rest is missing, but apart from that, it's not bad, and the redeeming aspect is that the price I got it for gives me some serious wriggle room even allowing for the expense of the repairs, a ferry trip to the UK to collect it, and then the (obscene) tax involved in registering it in Ireland.

While I could sell it on when it's sorted, I'm planning to hang on to it for my own use, my present vehicle is an Isuzu pick up, which has done me very well for a long time, but I could do with something with a bit more in the way of creature comfort, especially for the back seat passengers, the crew cab seats are not exactly nice for a longer trip, and the extra row in the back will be useful on occasions, as my daughter has 3 children, so we can get everyone in the one vehicle if we want to. The space in the back of the Picasso will get used regularly for moving all sorts of strange things, and the ability to be able to fold both rows down and make a lot of space available will be very much appreciated on occasions.

I have access to a small independent garage workshop, with Snap On Solus computer, and while I would not regard myself as a qualified mechanic, I know my way round a set of spanners, though I did too much of my introduction to vehicles too long ago to be comfortable with everything that's now lurking on modern engines, but I am finding that 40 odd years working with computers is proving to be a useful factor given how electronic these modern vehicles are!

I am very sure I will be posting some questions about several areas of this vehicle before too long, and also some questions about the Citroen Diagnostics software, but I won't put that in this thread, I will put it where it should be in the right section.

Yes, I will for sure be looking for information, but I'd like to hope that I will be able to provide some feedback over time that will help others as well.

Steve
Shore, if it was easy, we'd all be doin it
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Hello from Ireland

Post by CitroJim »

Welcome Steve :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

:welc:

Hope the C4 doesn't prove to be too much of a challenge!
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Helllooooooooooo
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider