Activa Spotting - Post all eBay and etc. Finds here

Stickies moved from the Activa forum

Moderator: RichardW

Citroening
My Cars: Various Makes/Models Nowadays...

Post by Citroening »

Deanxm wrote:Low mileage means one thing and one thing ony, the seller gets to bend you over for a silly amount of money.
Got to disagree on that one Dean - my Visa 14TRS with 41,000 miles was cheap, as was my XM.

ATM we've got two near identical CX GTi Turbos - one done 61K and the other 128K - a chap enquired about both and he went for the 61,000 miler and it's now provisionally sold even though it was dearer than the higher mileage car.

Another example is dad's ex-Xantia V6 that had only done 62,000 miles and this was evident in it's condition - I doubt that there's a similar condition car out there with 'high' miles.

No worries though chaps - leave all the low mileage cars to us! :lol: :D
Franklin
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

ATM we've got two near identical CX GTi Turbos - one done 61K and the other 128K - a chap enquired about both and he went for the 61,000 miler and it's now provisionally sold even though it was dearer than the higher mileage car.
So the 128k one is dog eared then? or feels rough to drive compared to the 60k car?

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

The chap hasn't driven it at all - he only wants to buy a black with black leather Turbo 2 that has under 100,000 miles - he wouldn't even consider it.

Nope, not 'dog-eared' either - just been restored.
Franklin
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Citroening wrote:
Deanxm wrote:Low mileage means one thing and one thing ony, the seller gets to bend you over for a silly amount of money.
Sorry, I see that just proves the point Dean makes and Visa 14E's aren't
on everyone's must have list either so not likley to command a big value!

I don't recall seeing an ad for a low miles XM V6 and think I'd recall seeing
the chat about it on the forums - you got yours for an apparently low price
as there wasn't any competition (unless of course it was the one with a
detached front end to fit into a garage in Brighton?).

Low mileage cars are nice, sure - plenty of miles still left under the bonnet
even allowing for similarly aged components to alternatives that have
worked everyday of their lives ramping up the miles but low mileage
AND low priced cars aren't an everyday occurance unless you're a very
sharp car wheeler dealer.
Last edited by andmcit on 02 May 2011, 21:31, edited 1 time in total.
Nothing moves you like a Citroën
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

so if he got over his obsession with mileage do you not think he could have bought a car every bit the 60kers equal for less money?
On a sub 5 year old car mialage is king, when they are 20 odd years old its totaly irrelivant really, rubber doesnt care how many miles its done, neither do brakes, rust, sun fading, etc etc

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

There's only two 14TRSs in the UK so there's not many people that can have/want one! :lol:

Nope, my XM was bought privately and wasn't on any forums, ebay etc - the chap knew his beans about Citroen's though as he's got a fair few of them but IMO I thought it was cheap taking into account the mileage and it's FSH too - It wasn't hugely cheap, but nor was it dear.

It's good to be different and the world'd be a very boring place if we didn't but IMO I prefer a lower mileage car - is this the start of another sunroof-like poll? :) :wink:
Franklin
Deanxm

Post by Deanxm »

is this the start of another sunroof-like poll? Smile Wink
Please dont :lol:

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

:lol:
Franklin
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Hey, don't look at me, just something I said in passing the other day and
Adam started the poll, not me! :lol:

Hmmmm :?
Guess someone could roll out a whole host of polls though:

s1 v's s2
where ANY Citroen qualifies which would make a fascinating
if potentially slightly bitchy discussion

TD/HDi Diesel v's V6 Petrol?

Estate v's Saloon

Activa Dante Red v's Silver

in fact the possibilities are endless! :lol:
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

As ive said before, there is a proviso with low mileage cars.

If its been used every day of its life to do 2 miles each way to the shops for 10-15 years then its probably ready for the bin. Too many cold runs, condensation build up in the engine, rusted exhausts, just as worn an interior if the car had done 150K or whatever due to people constantly entering and exiting the car. Probably lacking a few oil changes and in desperate need of a cambelt and full service. No doubt a car which is driven in all weathers and then parked up in the garage and left to sweat while wearing most of the grit and salt under its arches from last years winter, just lovely!

I know a good few cars like that and would not want to buy any of them.

So use, as well as driving habits are crucial. Though without actually getting the owner to drive you about in the car before you buy it, your not going to know if they spin the clutch at 3000rpm at every junction or rev the car to rpm at every gearchange ...

We used to have a customer with a 2.1TD Xantia hatchback, ive never been in a car with anyone who changed down gears at such inappropriate times, with the revs flying round and into the limiter at times, very scary and unnerving. It was an extremely tidy and low mileage car though.

Find a car which has been cherished, garaged, cleaned and driven on a second or third car basis and your onto a winner, usually.

Your very right in that a lot of components are an age related item and will last 10K miles or 200K miles but are expired in years rather than miles. Strut tops seem to be a good example of this.

In reality you shouldnt be worried about an exhaust, thats not an expensive replacement and its expected. A clutch, well if you can feel the clutch is good on purchase then unless you give it grief by means of riding it or towing heavy loads then it should last a good while. I dont consider 80K to be the average clutch life at all, maybe if it has a DMF :lol: Our van has 108K miles and has not even needed the clutch adjusting once in that time, it still bites well and in the right place, this is a vehicle which has almost always had a heavy load. Mind it is a basic XUD but its down to driving style. So you will quite easily find a car which has done 80K and has a worn clutch, then again if its owner has been that bit lighter it will get to 130-150 on the original and then slip, or if its treat with the upmost respect it will last longer.

As I say, its about condition and what you find on viewing and driving. Im sure most of us on here have traveled around the country looking at cars with the intention to buy, only to discover what was described as a good car to be a load of rubbish, no matter what the mileage or service history stamps are like. It just so happens that most of the cars I prefer have lower mileage, these dont always turn out to be good.

Indeed one XM I went to see had done 2 miles between MOTs, that wouldn't even of got it to the MOT station.... It was knackered and the 700 mile round trip was a total waste of time!

Buy on condition, thats the most important thing and what I stick to. The fact Ive had a few low milers is due to them ones being in good condition. The fact they are low mileage just makes them more desirable to me.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Citroening

Post by Citroening »

UQuite true Andrew - the possibilities are endless. Opinions will always be divided too as "c'est la vie".

Good points there Chris, and an interested read.

Anyway, back on-topic (!)...and who's going to buy the low-miles Activa then? :)
Franklin
andmcit
My Cars:

Post by andmcit »

Citroening

Post by Citroening »

I had a feeling that you would! :lol:
Franklin
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Just spotted this on ebay :(