Activa Spotting - Post all eBay and etc. Finds here

Stickies moved from the Activa forum

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars:

Post by Dommo » 20 Dec 2009, 16:23

I'm watching it, for 300 quid I'd love to keep it until I could afford to run it.

How would you go about a 1.9TD swap into it? I could afford to run the thing then!
0x

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, Sally the white Saxo, Jodie the white Ka (AKA the Dagenham Dustbin), Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 20 Dec 2009, 19:40

Dommo wrote:How would you go about a 1.9TD swap into it?

Tricky.

Far easier to put a 2.1TD engine in as the Activa has much in common with the 2.1TD. Transmission is identical bar gear ratios. It's actually technically quite easy to do.

The real drawback will be insurance. It'll be a modified car and the insurers will sting you as a result.

2.1TD Activas were available on the continent but never in RHD :cry:
0x
Jim

Founder and only member of the Ford Ka Preservation Society...

KP
My Cars:

Post by KP » 20 Dec 2009, 19:48

If you used a Bosch injection pump and injectors on it then ran it on WVO or SVO the insurance sting for most wouldn't be so bad as the fuel savings would be massive compared to the normal activa. double MPG without even trying to change driving style would be easily done for most drivers..
0x
1996 Activa with Leather(S2!) AC & Sunroof PALLAS'd
XM 2.5td VSX Estate green 220k running Veg&stuff

addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo » 20 Dec 2009, 22:14

£300 is only $550, about 15-20% of what it would be worth over here.
0x

Dommo
My Cars:

Post by Dommo » 21 Dec 2009, 01:13

WVO use is what I was thinking of as it happens.

I've got a '99 1.9TD 306 and changed the pump to a bosch one and I run this on home filtered WVO hence the idea for 1.9'ing an activa.

I've read that the 2.1TD isn't as good an engine as the 1.9TD for reliability, not sure what truth there is in that, but the 1.9 is more readily available.

What's different between the 1.9 and 2.1/activa? The way the accumlator and things bolt up?

Thanks for the help. I've messaged the bloke selling that blue Activa asking for s/h and stuff, what the MOT failed on, etc.

"ONLY FOUND OUT THE MOT TEST RAN OUT IN NOVEMBER WHEN THE PAPER WORK WAS DROPPED OFF ON FRIDAY.
THERE IS PAPER WORK AT WORK BUT NOT LOOKED THROUGH IT.
N/S/F RAM SLIGHT LEAK AND LEAK FROM REAR ELECTRA VALVE AREA.I THINK THE ALUMINIUM COVER HAS CORRODED,SAME PART AS XM.
IF THE CARDOES NOT SELL THEN I WILL BY NEW PARTS TO MEND AND PLACE IT FOR SALE ON MY WEBSITE."

So it's nice to know that he'll fix it up rather than break it. But a 'slight leak' sounds like it could be the return lines, can they be replaced easily enough?

Being 20 a standard activa would be 1200 quid to insure anyway, doh!

Thanks again, Dom.
0x

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 21 Dec 2009, 10:09

All this car needs is a couple of suspension parts, it would also be a shame in my eyes if it had to be butchered around to fit a 1.9TD lump, it would take away from the character of the car. The 1.9 uses a different gearbox for a start, and the engine mount on OSF chassis leg is different, it has a completely different bracket welded on.

The only diesel worthy of fitting to it would be a HDI 110 IMO, and then remapped to suit.
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

Dommo
My Cars:

Post by Dommo » 21 Dec 2009, 11:13

While I agree it's a shame, it just seems like the CT engine has awful fuel economy for not that much power.

Putting in a 2.1 or 1.9 would be the best way to make an activa affordable to run.
0x

vince
My Cars:

Post by vince » 21 Dec 2009, 12:09

Saw this Activa logo on Flickr (not the real one but Activa all the same) :P
0x
1993 Citroen xm 2.1td, silver/grey, bowling ball wheel trims, 210k and climbing...

XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan » 21 Dec 2009, 12:46

Dommo wrote:While I agree it's a shame, it just seems like the CT engine has awful fuel economy for not that much power.

Putting in a 2.1 or 1.9 would be the best way to make an activa affordable to run.

Town driving is not its forte, long distance its just fine. Mine got 37mpg once. I've quite happily got 400 miles to a tank with mixed driving and not for economy, although my bigger and more efficient turbo may account for that.

Remember the Activa CT is not all about bhp, its smooth, quiet, responsive and torquey.
0x
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans

Dommo
My Cars:

Post by Dommo » 21 Dec 2009, 12:53

XantiaMan583 wrote:
Dommo wrote:While I agree it's a shame, it just seems like the CT engine has awful fuel economy for not that much power.

Town driving is not its forte, long distance its just fine. Mine got 37mpg once. I've quite happily got 400 miles to a tank with mixed driving and not for economy, although my bigger and more efficient turbo may account for that.

Remember the Activa CT is not all about bhp, its smooth, quiet, responsive and torquey.

37 is good, I'd be happy to run one if it got 37 easily, but I'm going to assume that 37 was a once only sort of thing. I'm used to getting 600 miles from a 60 litre tank, of mostly free home filtered waste veg oil, if I could have an Activa that'll do that sort of MPG I'd have one in an instant.

I've not bid on that ebay one which has now ended with no buyers, but in the near future when I've finished my uni course and have a job I'll definately be looking out for one with the intention of putting a 2.1 in, insurance depending that is.
0x

admiral51
My Cars:

Post by admiral51 » 21 Dec 2009, 21:04

Dommo wrote:
I've read that the 2.1TD isn't as good an engine as the 1.9TD for reliability, not sure what truth there is in that

I would reccomend you now get ready to duck for cover as the 2.1TD fan club members will be along shortly to give you chapter and verse :lol: :lol: :lol:

Colin
0x
C5(III) 1.6 110 HDi 2008 Never let me down what a car :)

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: An orange Skoda 120, Sally the white Saxo, Jodie the white Ka (AKA the Dagenham Dustbin), Pixie the Sliver Pixo, a Giant TCR Bike and a Giant TCR Pro Bike.

Post by CitroJim » 21 Dec 2009, 21:24

Thanks for bringing that to my attention Colin :D

Now, as the co-founder member of the 2.1TD fan club, I should like to say they are brilliant :D

They're reliable to a fault, tough as they come (they can stand a cambelt failure with just broken rockers) and a lovely engine all-round. They're smooth, quiet above idle, possess bucketfuls of torque at low revs and develop a healthy power whilst being economical.

Tales of unreliability stem from the legend that the Lucas EPIC electronic diesel pump is a bad one. Truth is, if you feed them good diesel, change their fuel filters regularly and look after any air leaks that develop they are a faithful and reliable high-performance pump. They do admittedly dislike SVO, WVO or biodiesel and will throw their toys if you try feeding it to them.

The 2.1TD has a toatlly different character to the 1.9TD. The 1.9TD is a revvy little number that has woeful low-down torque but has a sporty feel and will rev and rev.

The 2.1TD will develop enough torque at 1000 rpm to tug ocean liners along but is admittedly not sporty at all. It's an old-school low-revving diesel but none the worse for it. It shines as perhaps the best IDI diesel ever made.

If you don't like the Lucas pump, replace it with a Bosch VP20. Simple as that.

As for popping a 2.1TD in an Activa, most of the work is done. The XU10J2CTE engine in the Activa is basically a petrol version of the XUD11 2.1TD engine and it's a straight swap as far as transmission, engine mounts and running gear are concerned. It's not a straight swap for a 1.9TD as the Activa, V6, 2.1TD and 110HDi have different bodyshells to accommodate the bigger engines and transmissions fitted to these models. Fitting a 1.9TD would be a lot of work; it would be easier to fit a V6 engine to an Activa and it would be more economical too...
0x
Jim

Founder and only member of the Ford Ka Preservation Society...

Citroenmad
My Cars:

Post by Citroenmad » 21 Dec 2009, 23:15

Thats Savoy Citroen garage, is it not?

He says he would not break it or let it go for scrap. Often the cars for sale on the Savoy site list an expensive recent history. So i very much doubt that this one will be off the road.

I really like the 2.1TD, its a great eninge and gives more modern diesels a run for their money too. A diesel Activa would be something id love. We found the Activa to be very heavy on fuel so id not like on as my daily car, but a diesel would do very nicely. Although i didnt find the Activa slow, there is no doubt its a car which would easily take much more power, but 150bhp in a relitively light car seemed to shift it fairly well.
0x
Chris
16 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Flair
05 C4 2.0 16v Exclusive
54 Audi A2 FSi SE
51 VW Passat V6 TDi Estate

Family Citroens:
64 C4 Cactus BlueHDi Feel Red
15 C3 Picasso 1.6HDi Exclusive
56 C5 2.0HDi 138 16v VTR Estate
95 C15 6-wheel
55 Traction 6H

Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer » 21 Dec 2009, 23:58

Citroenmad wrote:Thats Savoy Citroen garage, is it not?

I believe it is. I was following a silver one he had (just over 12 months ago) before I purchased mine from a private seller (on here).

James
0x
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto

Dommo
My Cars:

Post by Dommo » 22 Dec 2009, 00:53

It's 'Savoy Garage', he gave me this link in his ebay message:

http://www.savoygarage.co.uk

If the 2.1 really is as you describe it sounds like a good choice to me in an Activa. I think the reason I've only heard that the 2.1 isn't brilliant is because I've come from www.pug306.net - which is obviously based around the 306. So a low revving 2.1TD wouldn't feel as involving as the rev happy 1.9, if that makes sense. And if it's not got a much higher hp rating, which is explained by the low down torquey nature of the 2.1 engine.

How easy is the VP20 bosch pump to come across? Is it the 1.9 pump? I read on the vegetableoildiesel forum that some people have fitted 1.9TD bosch pumps to their 2.1 engined cars.

How much load does the hydraulic pump put on the engine? Ie does the fuel pump need to have some form of input to increase the idle when the system is building pressure or anything like that?

Cheers for the responses.
0x