Activa Spotting - Post all eBay and etc. Finds here

Stickies moved from the Activa forum

Moderator: RichardW

handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

This red one Dickie has shown is in my neck of the woods and I have asked the seller if it is possible to view, as the details are very sketchy. High price for one of these but on that mileage might be good, providing the clutch is sound as Citroen reckon 70K is its service life.

Handyman
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

Seems a few of us are watching them then :lol:
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

handyman wrote:This red one Dickie has shown is in my neck of the woods and I have asked the seller if it is possible to view, as the details are very sketchy. High price for one of these but on that mileage might be good, providing the clutch is sound as Citroen reckon 70K is its service life.

Handyman
Ignore Citroen, 70k is nothing for a clutch if its not been abused. If it was all city work i can see it, but my 116k clutch was almost as good as new when replaced, hardly worn at all.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

And as Gareth will testify, Activa clutches are a walk in the park to replace :D There is noting to be scared of in an ML5 clutch, except perhaps the weight of the gearbox!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

CitroJim wrote:And as Gareth will testify, Activa clutches are a walk in the park to replace :D There is noting to be scared of in an ML5 clutch, except perhaps the weight of the gearbox!
No clutch is easy :lol: The physical aspect of the clutch replacement is difficult, the ML5 is a very bulky box, once lined up it literally falls on and the rest is straightforward, Jim even markets a special tool for this job :wink:
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Removal and replacement of the ML5T gearbox is a doddle with a transmission jack and cradle.

I always take a view that if Citroen go to the trouble of recommending a service life on components, it gives you a bit of knowledge as to the state of a potential purchase. An Activa with a clutch change, especially if OE has been used can justify a higher purchase price, as it is one less component to consider failing in the future. Its the same as a car having its heater matrix replaced.

We can all do these tasks, but if somebody got there first, its a bonus.

"Ignore Citroen, 70k is nothing for a clutch if its not been abused. If it was all city work i can see it, but my 116k clutch was almost as good as new when replaced, hardly worn at all."

Why was your clutch changed at that mileage if it was not worn? :?

Handyman
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

handyman wrote: "Ignore Citroen, 70k is nothing for a clutch if its not been abused. If it was all city work i can see it, but my 116k clutch was almost as good as new when replaced, hardly worn at all."

Gareth was changing the turbo, take a look at his blog and here

On a similar point my HDi with the same clutch/gearbox is still on its original clutch @ 140K miles.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

handyman wrote:
"Ignore Citroen, 70k is nothing for a clutch if its not been abused. If it was all city work i can see it, but my 116k clutch was almost as good as new when replaced, hardly worn at all."

Handyman
Very simple. Before i took the engine out, i had clutch slip about 10 months before when it was a very cold night. It happened when i hit peak boost (remember mine is running higher than standard)

Clearly the clutch didnt like the new found torque and objected, however next day and every day it was driven after it never slipped again. I put it down to the clutch being slightly worn (at the time)...

When the engine came out with box, i had already lined up a new clutch as it made sense to change at the same time, but it was clear the old clutch was actually very good. I would of been a fool to refit the original clutch when i had already got a new one, and it was childs play replacing it with everything on the floor.

So, thats my reason for saying it should be fine at 70k, but it will very much depend on who drove it. My Transit still has the original clutch at 112k, my old Montego did well over 250k on its original and my uprated Maestro was still holding onto its friction material at 135k with many Santa Pod runs behind it. I'm not hard on a clutch, but others may be less mechanically sympathetic.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

The earliest Activa that had a clutch failure that I replaced had only done 55K miles. I have done a few more at around 120-135K, and like everybody else, I have done huge mileages on original clutches.

One of the problems with early Activas was the disintegrating thrust bearing and distorted fingers on the pressure plate. Later ones have a better survival rate and earlier ones fitted with the moded clutch can do higher mileages. I suppose there cannot be too many of these early clutches about now, as many were done under warranty by Citroen, but I have seen two within the last two years.

If we are having a p***ing contest, my old SX estate did 265K on the original clutch and the lump may still live on in another vehicle.

As for oldest original, my 1935 BSA B35-1 still has its original clutch from new and it still works! :shock:

Handyman
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Spare ram anyone? Here's a simple project.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

I just wish I had space, or I'd keep that for spares! Looks to have a bit of a lean on - do the rams get that bad that they won't keep it level? Or is something else amiss?

James
Now Citroenless for the first time in 20 years
2008 Mazda RX-8 231
2007 Honda CR-V Auto
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

Nooo, James, the lean is caused by badly worn or adjusted links to the height corrector. The ram is only pressurized and comes into operation when the suspension ECU detects cornering forces and roll, thereby counteracting the direction of roll by adding more force on the anti-roll bar and making it stiffer. :roll:

Handyman
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

That one comes close to my ideal specs for a donor. It would still have the wrong Hydractive blocks, and possibly the wrong pipes off them.

If anyone here is thinking of breaking it - I have no interest in its engine, gearbox or interior.
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

Would seem such a waste to break a car that only needs a ram. Wrong time of year for a car like that though.
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
Toby_HDi
My Cars:

Post by Toby_HDi »

I would, but its a hell of a way to go and I have no means of trailering it back
Toby

Previous:
2004 Peugeot 407 HDi 138 SE Luxury Pack
2001 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
2001 Peugeot 406 V6 Coupé
1998 S2 Xantia Activa
2000 S2 Xantia HDi 110 SX
1999 Peugeot 406 2.0 16v Estate