Tom's TZD - the progress report.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

tomsheppard
My Cars:

Tom's TZD - the progress report.

Post by tomsheppard »

A decent set of Michelins went on at the weekend. The previous weekend, Disks and pads were fitted to the front, together with a new driveshaft boot. Various checks and adjustments were made and bits procured. I have bought new rear arm kits but the first pair of major difficulties were to get the heater controls unsiezed and the rear wiper likewise. Replacing the heater control module (hint- do the bulbs while you're in there) was the usual hassle but at least everything worked. An earth had to be provided for the blower motor but everything went well enough. Levering apart the rear wiper motor came next. It isn't nihilism to destroy something that is broken in order to fix it so I bent the back bit straight after I'd graunched it off and drilled out the holes so it fitted back, secured with a large tyrap. Once inside, the mechanism was nicely rusted and the grease solid. The armature was jammed so I stripped the guts out of it and forced the armature loose with the big pair of pliers on the shaft. Flash on the battery charger and the motor spun, reluctantly.
Thorough soaking in penetrant and cleaning off the rust then ensued, the whole was regreased and when I refitted it, It worked with surprising alacrity! I love fixing things that cost nothing and would otherwise be written off. The ABS was duff. Some monkey had told the former owner that all the sensors were open circuit. The rear pair were not plugged in; one of the front ones was open circuit and irrepairable despite my desire not to spend £80 on a new one!
At this point a petrol Estate came up with the aforementioned Michelins, a functional ABS, foglights and an inoperative aircon plant! As it had tax and ticket, It was coopted onto the fleet for £125. It then inerted where it shouldn't do and needed to be towed to get it started to return to Southampton for plundering before passing it on to DLM to use. The abs sensor was fitted and- Nothing. I found a warning light without a bulb, dangling on a wire. I put in a bulb. It remained lit.
I pulled the plug from the computer, rather too easily, I thought.
Measured everything. Everything was in limits. Gave the computer a Hard Stare and refitted the plug firmly.
Tried again. Success!
The next 24 hours were spent in trying to get all the warning lights working. In trying to get the panel out, I damaged the hazard switch which caused a lot of grief and needed replacing. I really thought I'd cracked it but one of the indicator telltales doesn't.
The exhaust tightened and the struts lubed, it was time to bed in the brakes and try the heater. That was a good bit! The MOT is on Friday. I hope Mister Whitestick is merciful!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

He was! The place I use is thorough and doesn't fail a car for being a Citroen. It is posessed of two cats who man the brake test rollers. The black one had a day off today so a rather portly tortoiseshell took over, going to the rollers at the start of the brake test. Well that's the last bit, isn't it? That means that Kevin will have to go into the office next, where the safe is.
Then he'll have to open the safe where the paperwork stuff is kept for the bipeds.

And the Moggybix!