Thought Experiment...What Modern Day Car...

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Thought Experiment...What Modern Day Car...

Post by Zelandeth »

...Could provide the same blend of performance, handling, practicality *and* comfort as a Xantia Activa.

I realise off the bat that getting quite the same levels of ride comfort and handling are pretty much a non starter, but let's aim for a reasonable compromise.

I can get any three lined up without much trouble...but I'm really struggling to come up with anything which can tick all the boxes and also provide a cabin that's just a nice place to be.

Off the top of my head the only makers which seem even worth looking at are Volvo and Tesla.

VAG are out as anything which ticks the performance box will have the S-Line rubbish fitted which means 35" wheels and springs made from girders couples with seats as hard as park benches.

BMW...just no. Same reasons as VAG but with the added bonus of such a downright toxic reputation (not undeserved in my experience).

Mercedes might have been in with a shout 15 years ago, but just don't seem to have anything to recommend them these days...the last few I've been in have just felt like less well screwed together Audis.

I have to admit to not having been in any of the top of the line Citroen/DS models for a few years now, but they very much seemed to be aiming at emulation of the German brands as of a couple of years ago. Do they even have a decently beefy engine option these days or is it all 70mpg 1.6 diesels and massively boosted 1 litre three pot petrols all the way?

Vauxhall and Ford don't even seem worth considering as I've been utterly underwhelmed by anything of theirs - and I've sworn never to touch a modern Vauxhall again after the stop/start system in a 2016 Astra came about a foot away from causing me to have an accident anyhow.

Hyundai I confess to having no recent experience with and I've heard plenty of praise from a lot of places...they really do seem to lack design flair though...while I'm sure their motors are decent, they're just utterly forgettable. Shame they never turned up on the demo fleet as a lack of baseline data there irks me.

Which brings me to Kia. The Optima would definitely be a contender if it had a better engine...however the diesel one in the demonstrator we had for a weekend a year or so back felt somewhat underpowered for a car of that size and wasn't exactly the most refined power unit...which is a real shame as the rest of the car was absolutely spot on. Fit and finish was better than we tend to see on the VW/Audi company cars on the driveway.

That then brings us to the Stinger. We're losing points on practicality by this point as we are well into grand tourer territory than "typical family saloon/hatchback" and the road tax is eye watering...but it would be far more likely to make me put my hand in my wallet than anything else I can think of. Audi take note of the ride...just like in the Tesla Model S, the ride in the Stinger is firm...yet *unlike* in most modern VAG cars I've been in it never seemed to feel jarring. There are lessons to be learned there I think...The Stinger and Optima (despite the less than stellar engine) were cars which joined only the Volvo V50 and Tesla Model S on a list of cars which have turned up on our drive as demonstrators which everyone in the house agreed we all really liked.

Obviously I've not driven a Model 3 (though I did have a sit in one earlier this week), but it feels like they've done a really good job of scaling down the Model S, rather than making it feel like you're choosing the 3 because you can't afford the S. I also appreciate their showroom staff not dismissing me out of hand just because I wasn't dressed in a £1500 suit.

So at this point...I open the question to the floor. If you were looking to buy an Activa but it had to be a new car today...where would you look first?

Yes this is purely a hypothetical question (couldn't sleep last night!) just now...but give it a few years and it might not be!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Thought Experiment...What Modern Day Car...

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

None. The Activa was a one off, classical Citroen, and should have been developed further. If I had the financial wherewithal I would get an Activa in decent condition, a low mileage ES9J V6 engine, get the engine completely rebuilt (to a zero mileage standard), as with the gearbox and running gear, get the bodywork stripped, dipped, galvanised and beautifully painted (I am in two minds as to whether I should go the CGAT route) and rebuilt (completely new pipework, and so on). I would look to improve a few things, but I would keep most of the design original.

Knowing my luck somebody would then run into the back of me!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well the "2019 World Car of The Year" must have something going for it. After all the Duchess of Cambridge has just got one :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
mickthemaverick
Donor 2024
My Cars: 70+ former cars (list available) including 11 Citroens, 3 Renaults
Current cars: 2004 Subaru Legacy 2.5 SEn, 1994 Mazda MX3

Post by mickthemaverick »

closest thing for me would be the XF but not really comparable in terms of target market! :?
I used to be indecisive, now I'm not so sure!
I used to ride on two wheels, but now I need all four!
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Driver power reckon, as rated by UK New Car Buyers, its the Mazda MX-5, by a street

https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/best-cars ... d-handling

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Skoda Octavia diesel. The 2.0 150bhp, torquey one with DSG. The L&K model.

Practical. Quicker than a UK Activa, very comfy.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It would have to be the hydractive 3+ C5 X7 for me. Although no longer made, the super firm road hugging sport mode is quite amazing going at speed round the Welsh country roads - holds like glue and little body roll. But then I’m unashamedly biased :rock:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc