Small/Cheap/Reliable/Simple - is it possible ?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Pshemsky
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: XM 2.5 (1995)
Peugeot 207 (2021)
Mitsubishi Grandis (2007)
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

Small/Cheap/Reliable/Simple - is it possible ?

Post by Pshemsky »

Hi Guys.

I'm changing and now considering selling my Xantia (with another almost complete Xantia for spares). Soon I'll be only doing few miles daily so start thinking about something smaller, simpler and cheaper on tax and insurance. I have one big family car, XM under restoration and now thinking about swapping my 110 Xantia for something smaller.
Looking for any suggestions: manufacturers, models, engines, years of production. What is worth to concern and what to avoid.
For a start I'll say that I like shape and size of C2, but know nothing about car itself. And one more thing - i'm looking for something under 1K - simple to maintain and just to work and back.

Thanks for any information or suggestions.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Re: Small/Cheap/Reliable/Simple - is it possible ?

Post by Sloppysod »

Hi, the 2nd car in my family garage is a Corsa, SWMBO shares it with the dog, relatively cheap to run, I do an oil & filter change once a year. This one is the 2008, 1.4i Auto Coupe, well a 3-door hatchback :-D . Does no more than 1,500 miles a year mostly short runs at around 30-32 mpg. Simple design & easy to work on with cheap spares and very easy to drive.
Only major faults in the 6 years of ownership has been the two breather pipes behind engine perished, AC wiring failed - simply bypassed fault, battery at 10 years old & gearlever position switch failed, washer pump packed in once
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
Pshemsky
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: XM 2.5 (1995)
Peugeot 207 (2021)
Mitsubishi Grandis (2007)
-
Gone with the wind...
Xantia 2.0 HDI (1999)
C5 2.0 HDI (2003)
Xantia 2.0 HDI (2000)

Post by Pshemsky »

Sloppysod wrote: 17 Mar 2019, 15:18 Hi, the 2nd car in my family garage is a Corsa, SWMBO shares it with the dog, relatively cheap to run, I do an oil & filter change once a year. This one is the 2008, 1.4i Auto Coupe, well a 3-door hatchback :-D

Thanks Stu.
OK. So number one is Corsa. I'll wait for (hopefully) few more suggestions and then dig out some information about engine variations, models etc.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."
Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Daughter #1 is on her third C3 and is quite happy with them. 1.1 petrol, cheap to run, tax and insure.
Does have a problem with nearside headlights blowing and the heater module has died on her.
Does around 20 miles a day plus shopping trips and the occasional excursion.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Just keep away from those EGS gearboxes! :?
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Yep - I never consider automatics in any form :(
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Have a peruse of "Bargain Basement Motoring"

Doesnt really matter that much which model it is. Corsas, Clios, and my latest a Nissan Micra K12 have all provided good service. All produced and sold in vast quantities so they must have got something right. Simplest of all I would say would be a 2000 vintage Corsa C not even an ABS light to bother you, and infinitely fixable.

If you read up on all the potential faults, you would steer clear of most cars. There are always expensive sagas to be found on the forums, of seemingly unfixable faults which both baffle and line the pockets of main dealers service departments at the same time. Read up about the K12 and up comes problems some owners have had with their ABS and additional brake safety system, and a dire warning to change brake fluid every 2 years. Bit off putting....but having paid only £100 for the car, I am more than happy to deal with anything it throws up at me and if I cant fix it...I'll still get £70 from a scrappy! :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Simple, reliable, cheap - but not new - a ZX !
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Probably not a popular answer here but I'd go for a Nissan Micra all the time, in my experience overall the most reliable of the cheapies available.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I hear consistently good things about Kia and Hyundai, including from an ex Peugeot dealer at a car show a while back who told me that warranty claims on the modern pugs he was selling threatened his business to the point that he changed allegiance (he was getting parts cost back from the mfr, but not labour).

is your annual mileage going to be so low that its cheaper to do away with the car entirely & take Taxi's or Buses?

Personally, I'm not a one for new(er) cars I think they're boring, and what I see and experience of them underwhelms me. Will the regular costs of keeping the Xantia on the road really be much different to those of (potentially) Garage Servicing on a newer car ...if you can trust them to do the work they charge you for at a fair price.

The Xantia 'll be comfortable too if you're getting no younger and aches & pains are becoming a way of life), not to mention characterful

And you can avoid the pain and hassle of parting with what is most likely a good car for a monetary sum that could be not very much.

Hang onto the Xantia: maybe one day it'll be part of the Classic Car movement... or use it more, to justify the expense of its daily 'Keep'. Surely you can find nice places to visit, overnight stays to enjoy, etc....

NB: my experience of Mum in Law's K13 Micra hasn't been positive at all; ensure any potential new vehicle is properly test driven over a decent distance. This one's got near zero power below 4000rpm, a horrid ride, a harsh engine note and it feels unsafe in a cross-wind.
Puxa
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

C1/107/Aygo would be my vote any day of the week if it's not too small (bear in mind they're surprisingly roomy inside for the footprint on the road).

They must be one of the last cars out there without fully multiplexed electrical systems, parts are cheap because there are zillions of them out there, tax is £20-30 a year depending on which year it is. We had ours for 9 years and the only major job it needed was a clutch, though that was due to stupidity by the original dealer rather than any fault of the car I still maintain - though clutches were weak on the early cars (sorted from around 2007 I believe when they switched to a larger clutch).
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

If you want something you can repair a Peugeot 306 should fill the bill, preferably an Hdi. I got a 206 for the wife as she wanted a smaller car, didn't like it at all, very utility, she has now gone back to a 406 Hdi. I have a C220 Cdi Merc but still prefer the 406, I think its probably the best car Peugeot made.

Peter
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Just before Christmas I downsized from my much loved xantia estate to a 10 year newer C2! Much the same reasons as yours, our larger car is the partner xtr hdi, so no need for a big car, the xantia bodywork had gone, its mot was running out and the fuel pump was leaking, i liked the Idea of the C1, but noticed C2 pricing was keen! Initially I was thinking of a 1.1 or 1.4 petrol, but not a lot around for sale, researched a fair bit on the paddle change gearbox cars and quickly sidelined that idea, they are cheap for a reason! I could get a nice C3 for Similar money, but the styling just didn't do it for me, by chance I stumbled on a top spec vts special 'Code' edition, it is essentially the vts but with roof stripes that are not shiny nor smooth nor equal sizes, different centre caps on the wheels, tan/brownish leather seats (front heated), colour matched door card insets & handbrake cover and a Chrome ring around the gear stick! Milage was good, mot acceptable (although they put a year on it without my asking), mot history all good, price was very good. It's not without its issues, but it is a ten year old car, compared to the xantia you can't relax driving it, 2hands on the wheel, focus on where you are going, the sporty standard suspension notifies you of every single undulation on the road surface, pebbled feel like a boulder etc. They go through strut top mounts remarkably quickly (very basic bearing with minimal grease from factory in a rubber plate), clutch bite is Right at the top of the pedal and Very light, brakes are Good, Turning circle is quite frankly Shocking on the standard 16" alloys (I have gone up a size on the tyres from 195/45 to 205/50/16), it corners Very well, it has electric power steering, which is fine, catches the wind something awful! Must be the shape, seat 4, 2 adults and 2 children, the boot will take 4 bags for life shopping bags(our weekly shop) with the rear seats up, i have had the youngest 24" wheeled bike in it with both seats down but not yet tried to fit a full size bike in, the 1.6 16v is a fun little engine, can be happily driven about town as well as hooned down the coast road, i am getting around 200 miles to a tank full - 40L, mixture of driving, mostly slow around town, occasion heavy footed action, averages around the 30mpg mark on a run. There are very common issues with locking, there is Only a door lock on the drivers door, if you lock it on the key, it locks the Drivers door Only, remotes give up a fair bit and is common to accidentally deadlock it (double press of lock button o. Key) and then need to break in to get back inside, they leak water into the pollen filter which then drips or in my case pours down onto the drivers floor and heater unit, especially if they have had a replacement screen and not had a new seal fitted to the bottom,
It is a great little car, i do like it and enjoy it, But! Coming from a Xantia estate td, it's an eye opener to what I have been blissfully unaware of for the past 8 years, our roads are shocking, the xantia is incredibly comfortable even when it is being Thrown around the coast road and being driven in a manor of which it most certainly was never meant for! The C2 skips on corners, drains, bumps (I found one section close to me that the xant would soak up, the C2 almost gets airborne! :-O), any form of poor road, It is Tiny! You turn around and the back window is There! When the dog barks in the car (one seat folded down so he fits) It's LOUD! He is no longer 10ft be find you!
The lights are good, H4 bulbs give a great spread, it is comfy to sit in if the road is Smooth! Stereo is std cit/pug unit and sounds good, It looks pretty good, parts are relatively plentiful but doesn't appear to share that much with little or bigger sisters, most things are held on with 16mm bolts, you jack up one corner and the other end comes up too.
Oh, don't buy a Black one! You will love it being so shiny for about 10 minutes then it will be forever Dirty! ;-)
IMG_20190316_161140.jpg
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Cant beat a c1/pug107/aygo triplet. I have just bought the 5th one I have had anything to do with. Cant get any simpler and reliable. The only thing to go wrong was my son managed to blow his engine totally, but it was thrashed mercilessly and abused and still lasted untill nearly 100000 miles. None of the others have had a single problem between them, only ever regular servicing at 10k or 1 year intervals, and a service can be done in 30 minutes, thats including a tea break! Our latest one, bought a month ago us 10 plate, 33k covered has been an insurance write off and cost just over a grand.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I was loaned a C1 when my car was in for work a few years ago. I thought it had an incredibly harsh ride and said so when I handed it back. The bloke behind the counter said that the Mk1 was even harsher and when the service manager had to drive one back to base a few years ago he had a bad back afterwards.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​